Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Stock III still worth buying?

jondextan

I am looking for a 9mm to shoot IPSC production with and my LGS have the Stock III and the Stock III Special available at a discounted price. Seeing how nobody talks in this forum about the Stock III lately and how mg LGS seems to wanna push the gun off their hands, makes me want to ask if the Stock III is still worth buying for IPSC production or if it can still be competitive out of the box? Price offered to me was really tempting.

is there any significant differences between the basic and Stock III Special?

any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes the stock 3 is a great pistol and worth the money. I shot with one for a while before sticking with my stock 2s. Out of the box it will shoot, you will want to do a trigger job etc but you can shoot it as is. 

I believe the coating is the only difference between the special and standard but could be wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...

I currently own an Accu Shadow, Stock 3 with trigger job and a Stock 2 with a trigger job.

I definitely prefer the Accu over the Tanfo's, but i also prefer the Stock 3 over the Stock 2. For me it just feels better balanced and smoother shooting. If i were to shoot something other than my Accu it would be my Stock 3. I think for the money it may be the most under appreciated Production gun available.

what is the asking price for the s3 special ? The normal S3 is a very nice ,with polishing all the parts  and with the upgrade of the extreme parts ,like firing pin , and titan hammer it will be top notch for production division , the only drawback is the finish  which is one of the worst i ever  handled

Don't know what y'all are finding but a Stock 3 is only $50 cheaper than a Stock 2; a non-starter at the price point.  Especially considering the Stock 3 finish is purported to be awful in the wear department leaving the gun prone to rust.

1 minute ago, fellas said:

what is the asking price for the s3 special ? The normal S3 is a very nice ,with polishing all the parts  and with the upgrade of the extreme parts ,like firing pin , and titan hammer it will be top notch for production division , the only drawback is the finish  which is one of the worst i ever  handled

S3 Extreme is about $1,600. More money for no more value than a worked up S2/3.

Fellas - Not sure what the "S3 Special" is then, thought you meant Extreme. Edit, found the S3 Special but can't find one for sale in the states.

Nomore - You're still gonna wear off nearly anything with enough use and be back to square one. I hear of many wearing off duracoat, cerakote, etc. Ionbond or similar may wear better but for ~$300. S2's are hard chromed from the factory.

Cerakote holds up pretty well for a competition gun, though. My G34 and M&P have both been in and out of kydex 1,000 times for years. They're missing the finish on the corners but I *like* that my guns look used.

Duracoat was a joke, however. Marginally tougher than rattle-canning the gun. Worn done very quickly.

My stock 3 will be getting cerakoted. By the end of the first full season it'll show some noticeable wear up close in good light. I'm okay with that.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm glad to a lot still use it.

I might just go for the S3 and refinish it when need be to keep myself in the budget.

Btw, what size front sight should i get to replace the stock one? I looked at EG's site and saw different sizes. 

Edited by jondextan

16 hours ago, jondextan said:

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm glad to a lot still use it.

I might just go for the S3 and refinish it when need be to keep myself in the budget.

Btw, what size front sight should i get to replace the stock one? I looked at EG's site and saw different sizes. 

J - The S3 Special should be good to go since it's nickle plated. Get after it!

Most popular front sight size is .160 x .100, can order from Dawson directly or from Stoeger's website.