Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp clocking problem.

thompsoncustom

Had something odd happen to me yesterday and was wondering if you guys would have a clue to whats going on. So took my open gun to the range (CZ sp-01) and did some shooting with it. I normally check the comp randomly to make sure it's not coming lose at all as I've had it happen before when I was running a loctite knockoff but haven't had an issues with loctite 271 which I used last time I installed about a month ago. Anyways after putting 100rds yesterday it looked like the comp was coming lose but it's clocked to the right a ways and rubbing on the frame, the weird part of it is I can not move the comp by hand at all it's like it's prefectly loctited in place but something has changed for it to be off. So am I missing something that can play into the comp looking like it's moving or is the loctite broke but still strong enough that I'll need heat before I can even budge it.

The its a little side to side play on the sides of the bottom barrel lug but not much.

The comp is one place to break out the hardcore thread retaining compound (whichever one you like). Just be aware the really high strength ones set up quite fast so don't muck around once it's on and be sure to wipe away any excess both inside and out. I also run a set screw (well 2 actually) in the comp. 

2 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

The comp is one place to break out the hardcore thread retaining compound (whichever one you like). Just be aware the really high strength ones set up quite fast so don't muck around once it's on and be sure to wipe away any excess both inside and out. I also run a set screw (well 2 actually) in the comp. 

Hey you ain't kidding, I put some green on the threads and started screwing the comp on and it set before it was all the way on. I had to put the torch on it to get it off, then clean the residue off, Hit the barrel with a die to get the threads clean, then clean it again with acetone.....what should have took 15 minutes turned into about an hour and a half lol

Had this happen three times on my new builds, especially with the combo of a titanium comp and stainless steel barrel.  Yes it's strange, you cannot hand move it but it will clock slowly when firing due to the heat, or if the slide is contacting the face of the comp when closing.  Check contact by black marking the slide and looking for contact marks, there can be no contact or you will get issues.  You will still have to heat that sucker pretty dam hot to remove it, then clean threads real good, use the primer ( Brownells ) and red Loctite , 272 and you should be fine.  The set screw is not necessary, but for added assurance it won't hurt.  However, don't use the screw until the Loctite has cured a day later.  Good luck.