Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliable .40s&w Singlestack

rmills

In regards to single stack .40's we are all well aware of the various issues that have prevented this combination from becoming popular. The main issue of which being the feedramp geometry. More times than not the bullet tends to nosedive into the bottom of the feed ramp. I experienced this on a Springfield "Loaded" model albeit with the first round I attempted to chamber. After the first round was in, feed problems occurred infrequently during actual firing. But they did happen at the worst times (i.e. in the middle of a stage).

In looking at most .40S&W singlestacks, the feedramp geometry is identical to the .45ACP models. The .45ACP having a larger radius tends to work well with the current feedramp designs on the market today. In looking at aftermarket barrels such as Schuemann, do their feedramp designs vary per caliber? Do the current mainstream manufacturers, whether they buy barrels or produce them, use the same feedramp design regardless of caliber?

Virgil Tripp has been modifying feedramps on .40S&W STI Trojans to make them more reliable.

What is the key to a reliable singlestack .40S&W in regards to the barrel? Is it the general consensus that the barrel ramp geometry is the number one issue plaguing the singlestack .40's?

Rmills,

I will let the gunsmiths reply on the geometry of the .40 1911-based guns. One common thing that is done is to load the rounds longer. Where the factory OAL max is 1.135" for .40 S&W, a lot of shooters use 1.175 to 1.200". The longer rounds have be said to aid reliability in feeding and mag function.

Later,

Chuck

Roy,

One of our Ohio shooters (a multi-gun IDPA Master) has a Kimber in 40 that runs and runs. I don't recall any details, it may be a custom built gun. I do know he loads a little longer than stock.

I load mine alot shorter now. I used to load them at 1.200 then I bought my son an XD40 and his mags didn't work with the long length. I load everything at 1.135 now and both my Trojan and the XD run great.

When I was shooting .40S&W STI and SVI Limted guns, I too loaded long. It was not due to feeding issues as the mag/barrel geometry in those pistols was correct. I loaded long due to using a 200 grain bullets and attempting to keep the pressure down. I found that with my Springfield .40 singlestack, loading long didn't really make much of a difference in regards to the nose dive problem especially on the first round.

Does Virgil Tripp extend the barrel ramp by welding on new material and then machining a new ramp profile? Does this also require modification to the ramp cut in the frame?

Does Virgil Tripp extend the barrel ramp by welding on new material and then machining a new ramp profile? Does this also require modification to the ramp cut in the frame?

Virgil told me that he TIG welds new material onto the feed ramp and then reshapes it and blends it into the frame. I have over 1000 rounds through my Trojan since its been back from Virgil with zero problems.

From my own observations it seems the wilson/nowlin ramped barrels work with a wider range of OAL cartidge lenghts (from factory to long). The clark/para ramped barrel guns appear to like a longer OAL cartidge (as opposed to factory lenght 1.135) for feeding reliability.

I'm a little bummed with Tripp right now. I ordered a couple of his .40 mags for my Trojan, and they worked excellent. I bought some more, and there appear to be feedlip issues...slam the magazine home, and rounds pop out the top. Happened on 2 out of 3 Tripp mags. Was planning on shootng the gun in the Area 6s...went back to a .45.

Michael B

Michael, have you called Virgil to see if he could help you figure this out??? :) Also, are you sure you got .40 mags??? (should have the part # starting w/a "B").

Michael,

When I shot Lim10, I used Tripp mags a little bit. They were very reliable as far as feeding and by far the most reliable, but were the worst to reload. If there were 4 rounds or more in them, they would swell and would drop free. Now I know this doesnt happen much, but sometimes you only shoot 4-5 and make a mag change because you're moving from one spot to another and can't make it anywhere else. If that happens, you'd have to drag it out, not ideal.

The Wilson 45 10 rounders were the best when slightly tweaked. They would get finicky sometimes, but you have to tweak them just right with the lips then they were OK and use silicone in the mags just to get any extra help. They were definitely easier to reload and drop free.

40 single stack, tough game.

I have built several on the caspian race ready frame w/ schumman bushing barrels for IDPA shooters with McCormick mags & all run perfect. It is in how you fit the barrel from the start.

Could you educate me on this .40 single stack? Why would one want to go .40 singlestack rather than .45 if the mags only hold ten?