Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would You Shoot The Enos Forums Match?

Based on the Forum Match Thread, take a crack at the poll above. I'm hoping this will give us an idea of what everyone's preferences would be.

Big match - similar in size and scope to an Area match, with all the trimmings - prizes, shootoffs, blah blah blah.

Low overhead - similar in size to an Area match, but prizes will be the bragging rights. This allows for an easier time on the match officials, and lower cost to everyone in the form of lower match fees. I suppose this could include medals or small plaques as prizes, if your ego really needs it ;)

Social match - as suggested by Brian and TGO, a match where we have stages of various formats and challenges, and bragging rights for each stage/challenge are all that's on the line. This would totally be a "fun" thing - and we could have a very wide range of things in this sort of match - USPSA/IPSC, Steel Challenge, IDPA, 3-gun, etc.

I'd prefer *not* to debate anything here (that's what the other thread is for :) ), just give us an opinion on what you'd prefer....

I guess my preference is for a Low Overhead match with some social events after the shooting is over....Prefer no prizes and no medals etc...just bragging rights...No classes, everyone shoot heads up and don;t worry about divisions during the match....just make the shootoffs 6 round friendly...

My worry is that with every Big Match comes the headaches of someone getting out of hand due to "over indulgence" of some kind.. ie, alcohol or something else..and that would spoil it for everyone...

Shoot some of whatever floats your boat...3 gun, steel, hose fests, whatever...

The HARD part is the match administration and getting people to run the match...as we all know, running any match is hard work and lots of it, and the work becomes more as the match gets bigger...and I believe that we will probably underestimate the number of people who will attend...I also believe that we need to put a cap on the number of people who can attend...not to limit people who would like to shoot, but as the number of contestants increases so do the requirements of the match...length, scoring, props, duration of range use, personal hygiene, and then, there is the problem of HOT range or COLD range, safe areas, match officials, RO's, match costs, targets, tape, porta potties, props....

This thing could easily draw 400 or 500 people and the logistics of that many people at a shoot is mind boggling.....especially if there is NO cap on numbers so squadding can be arranged...simply too big for open squadding...

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on this, just tossing out some real life problems that will need to be addressed if this is to happen...

Bottom line is that it needs to be handled and administrated like any other big match, with entry time lines, some entry costs to defray range costs like targets etc, and it needs to be thought out well enough and far enough in advance to make it viable, otherwise it becomes a Woodstock type of gathering, and gets completely out of hand...and I don't think anyone wants that...

More when I think of it....and again, just my .02 worth....

Good thinking TL,

I voted for Low overhead match, as I would like to see some of the funds go to BE.com forum expenses, Upgrades ect.

Next would be a poll for place and time...... not everyone will be able to attend no matter when or where but need to go with the percentages.

My little input.

SAM

I plan to attend "THE GATHERING" mostly to meet my e-shooting buddies, to put faces, voices and smiles to avatars and signature lines. If this is going to happen we might as well shoot some cardboard and steel...

I belive that trying to go overboard and putting together a big match will result in some been swamped with work while some will just shoot. The swamped ones won't have as much fun and this should be ALL ABOUT THE FUN.

I'd like the mach to be like a local... Get there, get in a Self-ROing/scoring squad, shoot the stages for the day and head back to the clubhouse for the beer and cigars!! After every squad finishes a stage take the scoresheets to the box and we can all help input the data after or maybe there will be someone manning the laptop... The only difference from a local match would be the pre-registration (pre-determined number of participants).

I want to go there to win friends! Don't care about prize tables or trophies, but wouldn't mind buying stuff from our forum dealers if they make it there.

We have a very kind offer from the OK folks. It seems they have the facilitites we would need and an open schedule. Strong points to consider.

Brian, would you travel to Oklahoma for us?

Hell, I'd even drive there with Zhunter... :o;)

Well, now the thought of having a match to benefit the Forum is intriguing...Entry of 50 bucks and all proceeds after match expenses go to the Forum....I am for that..

I like the idea of different kinds of stages to be set up and do like Nemo suggests , self officiating and self scoring...dump the score sheets into a box after you have scored them and then only the final tally is needed...that should not be too hard to get done..sounds like about a 4 beer task to me...maybe 5.. or about one and a half La Gloria Cubanas Series R....LOL

No prizes, but regognition for the guys/gals who did it the best, fastest..in each stage...Benos says he liked the carnival shoots, so lets have one...set up the El Prez and pay 3 bucks to shoot it....set up a steel course and pay 3 bucks to shoot it, set up a plate rack and pay a buck to shoot it, set up a field course and pay 3 bucks to shoot it...have a stump shoot and pay 15 bucks a team to shoot it, have a man on man and pay 5 bucks to shoot in it...etc...if we do it that way, no entry fee is needed...Benos Forum gets all the proceeds at end of day...

When the sun goes down, the guns go away and the music and refreshments start....till whenever.... :P

Well, now the thought of having a match to benefit the Forum is intriguing...Entry of 50 bucks and all proceeds after match expenses go to the Forum....I am for that..

I like the idea of different kinds of stages to be set up and do like Nemo suggests , self officiating and self scoring...dump the score sheets into a box after you have scored them and then only the final tally is needed...that should not be too hard to get done..sounds like about a 4 beer task to me...maybe 5.. or about one and a half La Gloria Cubanas Series R....LOL

No prizes, but regognition for the guys/gals who did it the best, fastest..in each stage...Benos says he liked the carnival shoots, so lets have one...set up the El Prez and pay 3 bucks to shoot it....set up a steel course and pay 3 bucks to shoot it, set up a plate rack and pay a buck to shoot it, set up a field course and pay 3 bucks to shoot it...have a stump shoot and pay 15 bucks a team to shoot it, have a man on man and pay 5 bucks to shoot in it...etc...if we do it that way, no entry fee is needed...Benos Forum gets all the proceeds at end of day...

When the sun goes down, the guns go away and the music and refreshments start....till whenever.... :P

I nominate Mr. Sunshine for Match Director. :D

I voted low overhead big match. I am interested in attending, schedule permitting of course. I am ALL for the proceeds going to the BE forum. Trophies and medals, who cares about that stuff.

But I vote for an extremely HIGH round count! :D

it becomes a Woodstock type of gathering

Three days of Peace, Love and Shooting. Remember, the armed person next to you is your brother and don't shoot the green bullets.... B)B)

LOL !

Also for a low overhead match ( I am cheap ).

It would also be nice if there was a place to camp ( sleep in my truck ) nearby to avoid the $$$ for a motel.

Did I mention I was cheap ?

Travis F.

I guess this goes more in the "where to have it thread", but since it doesn't exist (or I can't find it). May I suggest that holding this match in conjunction with Area 2 would be a good thing to do. Only concern would be access to Rio Salado before or after Area 2 could be an issue (because of setup and tear down).

Since most clubs have matches schduled for the 1st thru 4th Sat/Sun of each month, our best bet is to look for a 5th Sat/Sun. This year, Oct has both a 5th Sat and a 5th Sun. In 2006, Jan has a 5th Sun.

Depends on when and where. My budget is very tight and I can't afford to add in much. If it's close enough for me to drive and I can find someone to stay with, then it's possible.

Day care for the kids is expensive!!!!

Depends on where. I like others have a budget, it sucks but that is life. If I could drive it in a reasonable time and stay cheap, HELL YES, COUNT ME IN! That more or less rules out anything out of state. I don't think it would be held in Texas so it is doubtful for me. :( TXAG