Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 Vs Glock 35

glock17w

I have been reading several posts in the Glock Forum. I am not sure if this post should be in the Glock Forum or not but it has to do with setting up a Limited Gun.

I have been reading that more people prefer the feeling and the quickness and smoothness of a G17 or G22 over the G34 and G35. I wanted to get some input on what everyone thought about using a G22 rather than a G35 for limited pistol. I own a Glock 17 and like the way it feels and the way it runs. Do you think that a G22 would run a little faster and smoother than a G35?

My setup would be G22 or G35

Vanek Trigger

Brass Magwell

Tungsten Guide Rod

15 Lb Spring

Dawson Sights

Let me know what you think about the G22 or G35.

I used a G35 for limited for 2 years. can't see where it is slower than a G22. I would set it up just how you have it ther ein your post except: run a 13 pound spring. and consider an alluminum magwell over the brass, you don't need the extra weight, the tungston guild ron will take care of any muzzle flip

Good luck

NO.

Before the G35 came out, there were many shooters who preferred the G22 to the much longer G24. The G24 cycled noticeably slower. The G35 does not go slower.

Since the ipsc "box rule" and the resulting G35 slide length, Glock has also been looking very carefully at the slide weights and spring rate for their entire product line. The G35 slide weighs almost the same as the G22, locks up a little bit better, and has an increased sight radius.

I like it a lot better for shooting Major loads. I also like it better than the G20, which is a nice gun too. The G35 allows the use of a longer steel [Novak] or tungsten [CGR] guide rod, which combined with a brass or steel magwell really makes it controllable to shoot at 171pf. With Vanek's trigger and good sights [Dawson or Heinie] you're probably giving up less than 5% of performance to an STI or SV. Less than that if the STI points low for you [does for me.]

My 2c

G22 vs G35 is simply personal preference - there's no "correct" answer.

Try to shoot both. Better yet, buy a G35 and pick up a G22 top end. Then you decide.

I see far more G35's than G22's in the game. I shoot a G22 in Limited.

Less than that if the STI points low for you [does for me.]

Just a thought - arched mainspring housing? A Glock points the same for me as a 1911 w/ an arched housing (both of which point high for me, which is why I shoot a flat mainspring housing in a 1911 for competition :) ).

I agree with Eric. You can do a lot to a 1911 grip to try and mimick the Glock, but it still doesn't work. I'd go with the 35 for Limited, but it's really personal preference. I'm going to pick up a 24 for Limited and have some things done to it and start playing.

I shoot a 35 in Production, but also have a 22 and now have a 34 that will be my Production gun.

i have a model 22 limited gun.

it has a DIY trigger job(nice and cheap)

brass magwell

tungsten guide rod

15 pound spring

dawson adjustabe target rear and FO front

also in there is the KKM barrel.

I was shooting Production with the G34 and i bought this gun at the first of the year. as of right now i went from unclassified in Limited and L10 to a high B in limited and a 80+percent A in L10(this is pending, should make it when they update)

i shot several G35s and just one G22.

recoil isnt bad, accuracy is good.

reliablity is top-notch

this gun compared to STI, i think the STI would be good for 5-10 percent better scores..not that important to me since a gun from sti would cost 75% more than what i have in my glock.

I would recommend the 35 for Limited. I would maybe consider a 22 or 35 for Production, but definitely the 35 over the 22 for Limited. The 22 in LImited started to beat you up, I thought. Really bounces around quite a bit.

a factory stock G22 will beat you up, especially if you shoot the winchester 180 grain white box ammo(chrono at 187pf..OUCH!)

i shot one match with the bone stock gun, well, i added 3.5 lb connector and extended mag release.

my arm was tingling for an hour or so after the match.

i now have brass magwell and tungsten guide rod,

gun weighs 30 1/4 oz empty...indexes fast, cycles fast and i dont really notice the recoil any more.

BTW just shooting a factory stock STI edge with the heavy recoilmaster in it, the edge feels "sleepy"

im unsure of the power factor of the guys ammo though. i bet it was real close to 165 pf.

Forgive the newbyness of this question, but-

is anyone shooting the Glock 21 in limited?  The .45 recoil is much easier for me to control than the .40

thanks

I started with the G21 back in 93. It's fine for limited, but everyone wants the capacity (.40)so may be the G20 would be worth a try for capacity and recoil.

the G20 with a KKM 40 barrel is supa-soft even with factory loads.

if you freebore your barrel, you can load long too.

if i happened across one at a decent price, a glock 20 would be at home with me too.

with grams pads on the m21, you can get 18+1 which is good enough for limited, the problem is that i dont want to pick up 45 brass...even though i love the 45.

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought long and hard about buying a new pistol. I think I will go with not buying a pistol for limited class. I am in Korea until Jan 2007 where there are no pistol ranges to shoot on and the only time I get to shoot is to qualify with the M9 Beretta. Korea has very strict gun laws. I think I will just get back into shooting when I come back. I want to compete in both USPSA and IDPA. Since I will be new to USPSA, I will get good at shooting my Glock 17 in Production and not buy a new pistol to shoot in Limited. Instead of buying a new pistol for Limited class, I will attend a 3 day course at Universal Shooting Academy with Frank Garcia. I think the money spent there will help me more than buying a new pistol. I do plan on putting a Vanek Trigger with the Custom Firing Pin Safety on my Glock 17. I already have the Dawson Optic Sights. I will get the Tungsten Guide Rod with the 13lb Recoil Spring to shoot USPSA and put the stock spring back in to shoot IDPA. I will make up my goals sheet while I am here to get my mind right when I come back to the states. I am reading plenty of books on shooting and watching videos while I am in Korea. I have the Steve Anderson Dry Fire book, Lenny Bassman book on the mental aspects of shooting, and Saul Kircsh book to read. I have already read Brian Enos' book and will probably re-read it while I am here. I have the Matt Burkett videos to look at. Once I get accustomed to shooting USPSA, I will buy a new pistol for Limited Class. I have been checking out Brazos, Dawson, and Benny Hill for a Limited Class pistol when the time is right to get one. If anyone knows anymore things I can do without a pistol to get prepared for shooting when I get back, please let me know.

Also be thankful that you can shoot your pistols anytime you want to in the States. In Korea, most people have never shot a gun in their life. I have some Koreans ask me about shooting. They always ask if I shoot real bullets out of my guns.

Until next time; Glock 17w from Seoul, Korea.

Glock 17w,

A tugnsten guide rod certainly changes the feel of the gun. I suggest shooting with one, or shooting without one. I don't think I'd want to be swapping it in and out much. Doing so would screw up my timing.

picked up a 35 two weeks ago and have around 400 rounds thru it. 1st time to shoot a non .45 glock in a loong while.

I'm having a helluva time getting my grip aligned not to have my trigger finger ride the slide and send rounds consistently left.

Any suggestions on the proper alignment, I still like the 21 but I suppose the capacity puts it out of play.

Either that or Grams base pads, and the 35 goes on sale.

thanks

Although I own a 21 myself...I'm not sure why you wouldn't want the longer barrel and sight radius of the 35. :huh:

For me, I like the larger frame of the 20/21 because I have "paws" for hands. I'm not sure if that is the case with you. ;)

If you want to take the " if the Pro's use it..." approach. Glock God Sevigny uses a 35 in Limited Division.

Kinda speaks volumes.

Chuck, the fact that the studs use the 35 is what is most annoying. I don't have huge hands, but the 21 definitely fits better than the 35.

I spoke with an older (sorry RC B) competitive shooter today who showed me his current 35 that has been modified around the slide area with a dremel, file and elbow grease. It would be the ticket, but it would almost be impossible to sell at a later date.

I suppose it just means more practice to get used to the smaller frame

picked up a 35 two weeks ago and have around 400 rounds thru it.  1st time to shoot a non .45 glock in a loong while. 

I'm having a helluva time getting my grip aligned not to have my trigger finger ride the slide and send rounds consistently left.

Any suggestions on the proper alignment, I still like the 21 but I suppose the capacity puts it out of play. 

Either that or Grams base pads, and the 35 goes on sale.

thanks

I have the same issue when I shoot a large frame Glock (G20), except my rounds want to go right.

I'd suggest shooting the G21 in Limited 10 (I like the hicap mag over the 10-rounders...they run better). Or, get a G20.

Half the Limited GM's that got there shooting a Glock...they did so with a G20.

"Half the Limited GM's that got there shooting a Glock...they did so with a G20. "

They got there with a 10mm? I always thought most people shot a .40 and very few shot a 10mm mag. You learn something new all of the time, I guess.

Rick