Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 open pistol for steel challenge

victor6

I was thinking about getting a 9mm 1911 open pistol built exclusively for steel challenge.

I don't prefer the wider grip of the 2011. Does anyone still build single stack open guns?

Any advice on how best to proceed is appreciated.

Thanks,

Victor

I know Dan Bedell and he has built guns for me.

HE builds great 1911's and 2011's limited, open, single stack and steel guns

"Bedell Customs"

He builds Max M guns so you know there right and hold up.

Priced better than some of the other big named builders.

Also he build in a reasonable amount of time.

Edited by jcc7x7

Thanks for the pointers. Bedell has some photos of an open gun with a slide mounted Deltapoint. Great looking gun.

Maybe a Springfield 9mm RO + STI Trubor barrel + Dawson magwell + Dawson FLGR + slide mounted sight ...

Hello: I would use a regular scope mount instead of the slide mounted ones. Either a 90 degree one or a standard one. I would also make sure the 1911 you get has the same ramp cut as the Tru Bore barrel which is a Wilson/Nowlin ramp. No need for a magwell since if you need to reload on the clock for a Steel Challenge stage you are in trouble. I know I have done it. I would make it in 9mm since you can use factory loads or reload some light bullets. I would also use an aluminum full length guide rod to keep the gun light up front. Thanks, Eric

Victor, a dedicated 1911 for steel is a great idea if money is not the issue. The old days of steel shooting was a 9mm , aluminum framed, chopped up slide. The gun was a fast pointing gun. George at EGW built one of the best 1911 steel guns I have ever had my hands on. You could see completely through the rear section of the slide, it was cut out that much. Don Fraley at AWTLLC has been building 1911 for many, many years. Don is a world class smith and he and George are good friends. George does not build pistols any more but a true steel gun is a blast. If you call Don, tell him Tommy Roupe told you to call. Just remember, Caspian aluminum frame, chopped up slide, alum. comp, very light and quick.

This is a steel challenge gun that I built for myself over the winter. True commander length barrel and slide. Tri-topped, small light cone comp. Gun only weights about 36oz empty. Shoots extremely fast and is easy to move around since it is so light. The loads I run through it are about the equivalent of a factory 9mm. Gun probably has about 3000 rounds through it so far this year without a single issue. I am in the process of building a single stack version of it right now. Had some help from George at EGW since they are very close to me and I stop in EGW periodically to chat with George. Great guy!

post-43369-0-84508800-1469738920_thumb.j

Wow. Great ideas and pictures.

Scott - that gun is nice. 36oz is 9oz less than the listed weight of a Steel Master.

The picture of the rear of the slide is out of this world.

I think I do want a magwell just to help getting a good grip on the draw. Dawson makes some light aluminum ones that won't add much weight and it looks like their aluminum FLGRs are on sale right now!

So it looks like a sub 40oz pistol would be ideal.

Similar cut on the top, but also to square cuts all of the way through the sides. You could see everything, firing pin, extractor as well as the ejector from the side. The cuts started just above the rails and of coare just above the disconnector track. Steel shooter only. George would remember the pistol, it was at the Mountaineer Classic in maybe 1991 George and Don stuck up for me with Ira of C-More when they were the new sight to be had and there were reliability issues.

How times have changed. The pistol may have been Georges own personal gun. If it would hold up, it would make a very flat open gun. All of the mass removed from the back of the slide would make it very flat. George did not want to make those cuts for a open gun. Back then, I chrono'ed 1610 fps with 115's at the Mnt Classic. Crazy times for sure. Also, no such thing as Super Comp, 38 TJ, 9x23 back then. I also remember a alum grip safety and mainspring housing, as well as a Delrin guide rod. The pistol felt like a toy, about as light as my Custom Kimber 1911 .22

I love the gun I built above, but also like the original poster said, I prefer the grip of a 1911 which is why I am building the same gun in a single stack version.

Ever see the Briley Plate Master? Jim O'Young shoots one which is the only one I have ever seen in the wild.

http://www.brileypd.com/platemaster.html

post-43369-0-79995600-1469791695_thumb.j

Also, if you have ever noticed, Max Michel shoots a single stack "Sig" for Steel Challenge. It is actually built by Dan Bedell with Sig branded parts

Edited by scottlep

victor6 , if you go with Aluminium frame and minimize your parts you will be under 30 oz. Proper cuts on the slide , non - bull barrel, alum comp,single sided safety, delrin guide rod. It will be lighter than you have ever felt anywhere.

This is a steel challenge gun that I built for myself over the winter. True commander length barrel and slide. Tri-topped, small light cone comp. Gun only weights about 36oz empty. Shoots extremely fast and is easy to move around since it is so light. The loads I run through it are about the equivalent of a factory 9mm. Gun probably has about 3000 rounds through it so far this year without a single issue. I am in the process of building a single stack version of it right now. Had some help from George at EGW since they are very close to me and I stop in EGW periodically to chat with George. Great guy!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-28 at 4.45.40 PM.jpg

I've shot this gun. It's nice.