Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building 1911 9mm for pa steel on a budget

Gogel9mm

Hi all

Sorry new to this type of thing but here goes

Just purchased a 1911 in 9mm and want to build a race type gun for steel shooting, had fun using it last season but would like to step it up a little, if anyone can help it would be appreciated

Thx

Shoot wed.nights in spring at local club started last summer kinda late but got hooked quick then shot at the toys for tots near allentown pa had a blast no pun intended. Use to shoot SASS years ago but like the modern stuff as well.

A dedicated steel gun is a special critter and the 1911 9mm is a great platform to build up on and you have lots of options and can do it with a reasonable budget.

This year my gunocologist switched mine from 38 super to 9mm and used an EGW 3port cone comp like the one here - http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=194

Cone comps tend to run bunny fart loads better and are lighter and shorter overall than a bull barrel with comp. You can use the existing barrel in your gun by threading the barrel for the comp and cutting the existing slide and fitting the cone comp to it. This will keep the gun's length short and reduce some of the mass from the slide, you may want to remove more metal to make the slide even lighter. As far as the red-dot goes, a C-more on a mount of your choice would be the cheapest and most reliable way to go. A few other basics (your gun may already have) are good beavertail, and a trigger group that is light, quick, and reliable. Magwell is optional (nobody wants to hear "great reload!" in steel challenge stuff) but some like them because they can help give you a better grip. Attached are a couple of pics to give you an idea of what I am talking about. This gun started life as a springfield armory gunsmith kit (basically a crappy gov't model 9mm that wasn't even put together) and used as an USPSA open gun, then morphed and re-puposed into a dedicated steel gun. I haven't settled on a load yet, but am leaning towards light bullets going about 950-ish fps with medium to fast powders.

post-61511-0-97612500-1451961171_thumb.j

post-61511-0-86141500-1451961183_thumb.j