Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When is the gun holstered?

aandabooks

This appears to be an area of the rule book that might need a little clarification. I plan to make engaging the safety part of my load and make ready routine. I personnally don't consider the handgun to be holstered until it is in the holster and I have removed my hand from it but I don't want to get DQ'd for starting to put the gun in the holster and then engaging the safety.

It sounds like you see engaging the safety as an arbitrary rule on par with holster position. There are real safety issues with holstering a short travel, light pull weight trigger without the safety on - a jacket zipper or an untucked shirt in the wrong place at the wrong time and you've just shot yourself in the leg. Instead of worrying about how far you can go towards the holster before engaging the safety without getting in trouble just don't do your make ready on auto pilot. Think about what gun you're using each time and proceed appropriately.

Edited to fix iPad typos.

That is my plan to very deliberately handle the make ready procedures. I fully understand the need to safely handle the gun for my safety and the safety of those around me. I just don't like subjectivity in the rules or rules that leave themselves open to different interpretations by different people.

Short answer -- if you're looking for the exact point at which the safety must be applied to avoid a DQ -- you're either going to pop off a round when you least want to, or get disqualified. It's not a speed event -- so load up and apply the safety with the gun in front of you, near eye level, pointed in a safe direction/at a safe backstop, then move to holster the gun. I've issued that DQ and it frankly sucked for everyone involved.

So, if the gun goes in the holster and my hand is still on the gun with the safety off it is a DQ?

Yes.

The rules say you may not holster a S/A gun with the safety off. It gets holstered when... the gun is plopped into the holster. That's what holstering a gun is. You seem to be arguing that "holstering" means removing your hand from a gun that you just actually holstered.

Your viewpoint is puzzling enough that I'm having difficulty trying to wrap my head around you actually saying this as if it's a logical thing to propose.

Let's back up a second.

What is the PURPOSE of the rule? Well, it's a safety requirement. Sliding a gun with a 1.5 pound, 1/8" travel trigger into a holster is risky if you have a loose shirt or jacket zipper in the way, or simply get negligent on finger discipline. The rule is there to require you to put the gun on safe before heading into the holster.

Your viewpoint is that you can commit the unsafe action then flick the safety on while the gun is in the holster, and that this is okay because you haven't finished holstering your weapon yet.

Sir, you're entirely missing the point of the rule. Which isn't just a USPSA rule, it's been sound gun handling practice for S/A handguns for decades. Safety goes on, then you present the gun to a holster which might somehow snag the trigger while the weapon is aimed at your thigh / calf.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Forget the rules for a second. The moment just before I start holstering is honestly the MOST IMPORTANT time for the safety to be engaged, in terms of avoiding shooting my junk off. Why you'd want to screw around with this procedure is astounding to me.

Think about those race holsters for open...safety not applied, the holster just grips the trigger guard, holster not tight enough, gun falls to the ground without the safety on...nobody really knows where that shot is going...

Nik pretty much hit it directly on the head with his post.

This is not an issue, make ready, do the barney thing or not, when you have your final mag in the gun, round chambered.. gun pointed down range, put the safety on and then holster. Get ready to shoot fast and hit... high hit factor...be the man.