Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine coupler

Onepocket

This would make a big difference on Classifiers with mandatory reloads

Not sure that it's that much faster with coupled mags. The only coupler I've been able to find for colt mags required that they face different directions which kills quick changes. Even with a standard coupler, I bet I could reload just as fast to a 10 round colt / standard 17 Rd Glock 17 mag off the belt.

this is changing the rules, not just an interpretation.

How so? Do you know something DNROI doesn't?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would make a big difference on Classifiers with mandatory reloads

Not sure that it's that much faster with coupled mags. The only coupler I've been able to find for colt mags required that they face different directions which kills quick changes. Even with a standard coupler, I bet I could reload just as fast to a 10 round colt / standard 17 Rd Glock 17 mag off the belt.

this is changing the rules, not just an interpretation.

How so? Do you know something DNROI doesn't?

The rules say no coupled mags.

Troy said in an email coupled mags are allowed.

That is not interpreting a rule, that is allowing coupled mags when rules say they aren't allowed.

If an R.O. is running a shooter and he uses a coupled mag, where in the rule book or the PCC addendum can he show its allowed, when the R.O. tells him it's not allowed or gives him procedurals?

DNROI interprets rules, there is a process to change them and it needs to be followed.

2 hours ago, peterthefish said:

2 x 2 + duct tape = side-by-side coupler. That was my solution for outlaw matches. Now that coupling is (apparently) legal, I shall grab a fresh roll of tape.

1 hour ago, Onepocket said:

Is he not the HMIC?

No - that would be the BoD.

I was really surprised about that ruling and posted this in the USPSA Forum about the thigh-rig below.  I don't get the coupled magazines in regards to the rules.

post.png

tacos.jpg

Edited by norbs007

Game on! Get your MPX Couplers here:

http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=388&categoryId=57

In 3 Gun couplers are fine for typical stages but when they have Classifier type stages they usually specify that reload must come from the belt. I think the same would make sense for USPSA: mandatory reloads should come from the belt but field courses should be able to utilize coupled mags, bigger mags, or whatever. 

Edited by alma

Yeah, we in USPSA adhere strictly to the rules......as we make them up on the spot.

But in all seriousness, there has been nothing posted at the USPSA website or Front Sight.    An e-mail copied and pasted on the forums doesn't constitute an official interpretation by the director of the NROI.  The process for official interpretations and official rule changes is spelled out in the rule book.

On 9/1/2016 at 5:48 AM, perttime said:

The coupler makes the mags into a single unit - which could be interpreted as one magazine.

If a coupler makes the 2 mags a single unit and therefore one mag, then the penalty for using one on a course of fire with a mandatory reload is a per shot procedural since a fresh mag was not inserted. 

2 hours ago, bthoefer said:

If a coupler makes the 2 mags a single unit and therefore one mag, then the penalty for using one on a course of fire with a mandatory reload is a per shot procedural since a fresh mag was not inserted. 

I don't think so. Definition of reloading is replenishment or replacement of additional ammo. The second mag would meet that requirement.

Just now, Gary Stevens said:

I don't think so. Definition of reloading is replenishment or replacement of additional ammo. The second mag would meet that requirement.

if I take a mag out of a gun and put it back in, is that a reload?

I've seen people go to the line for a classifier or very short stage with a mandatory reload and for whatever reason the brought one mag, not by choice I'd imagine.

Buzzer, bang bang bang..., realization no mag for reload. hit mag release take mag out and stuff it into pouch, pull same mag out and insert into gun, bang bang bang....

Did the reload or not?

I read it in the 3gun way. Mag coupler works for reloading the gun when it's your choice to reload. Mag from the belt works for mandatory reloads when the coupler wouldn't/shouldn't.

55 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

Nope.  No different than ejecting and reinserting the same mag. Since the coupled mag was already in the gun, a separate mag would be needed for it to be additional ammo.

2 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

I believe the operative word is additional ammo. If you eject and replace the same mag you are replacing the same ammo.

This is the way it has been interpreted for decades, but it seems the words get changed for no apparent reason sometimes.

then why is a coupled magazine allowed?

2 hours ago, bthoefer said:

Nope.  No different than ejecting and reinserting the same mag. Since the coupled mag was already in the gun, a separate mag would be needed for it to be additional ammo.

The coupled mag was never in the gun, it was hanging outside the gun.