Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thinking of buying a cz 75 SA. Please share your thoughts

rdinga

Thinking of buying a CZ 75 SA.

I miss a crisp trigger pull and the lighter recoil of an all steel pistol. Have owned CZ's in the past and like them.

Having nerve/tendon issues in my weak hand and my shooting is zero these days due to pain. After my surgery, I want to be able to get back into shooting as soon as possible.

Is there any unique about the SA only version of the CZ I should know before taking the plunge?

Thanks

What's your intended purpose? If it's for competition, the SA is really only ideal for IDPA ESP.

If it were me, I'd buy a normal DA/SA with a safety. You can shoot it SAO or replace the trigger with an SAO trigger, but you'll always have the option for the DA/SA as well.

Russell, the SA is a much better frame than the 75b DA/SA:

15z_CZ75BSA_L_91150_01150.png

15z_CZ75B9mm_L_91102_01102.png

Note the ambidextrous safeties/mag release and the longer, much more comfortable beavertail

And enlarged mag drop, relieved trigger guard. I'd still recommend a shadow over any of the block models if you're going to get into competition if that's at all an option.

The full sized slide adds a little weight up front on either the Shadow or the SAO. You can make the trigger much better than it comes in the stock SAO, I have a .40 SAO as crisp as a Hondo but you gotta work on it to get it that way.

CZ 75B SA was my first ever owned firearm. It was a 40S&W, would be nice for you if you can get a 9mm so it would be easier on the recoil.

It is a great shooter, accurate! Low maintenance, I had to replace the sights on mine (for competition).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would upgrade to the CZ 75 Shadow SA. The trigger is insane. I shot a 3 round touching cluster at 15 yards without my prescription glasses and no vision of the hits. 3-4 lb trigger and it doesn't barely moves when fired. Only $850.

Sent from my bunker in the desert using Tapatalk

Edited by MrTuna

I have a 75 Shadow SA with a flat trigger and a CZ comp hammer. It compares very favorably to the trigger on a Springfield Armory Range Officer (1911) I own. I feel that for me, the extended safety could use a little more extending. Look at the picture kneelingatlas posted. If the shelf of the safety extended toward the beaver tail for the full length of the safety, it would be better for me. I can disengage the safety on a draw fairly consistently, however once in a while, my thumb slips off. If you have long thumbs, it probably won't be an issue. All in all, an excellent pistol.

Edited by fastlane604

I have a 75 Shadow SA with a flat trigger and a CZ comp hammer. It compares very favorably to the trigger on a Springfield Armory Range Officer (1911) I own. I feel that for me, the extended safety could use a little more extending. Look at the picture kneelingatlas posted. If the shelf of the safety extended toward the beaver tail for the full length of the safety, it would be better for me. I can disengage the safety on a draw fairly consistently, however once in a while, my thumb slips off. If you have long thumbs, it probably won't be an issue.

I agree with that. I have XL hands but was disappointed that the other extended safeties are not compatible.

Sent from my bunker in the desert using Tapatalk

My wife runs a SA for Limiited Minor. She shoots it better than a 2011 Edge 9mm we built for her. It is lighter on the nose and faster for her. She points the gun better and it is super reliable. We both wanted to love the STI but after 6 months she is back to the SA. We did a little trigger work to it, Dawson front sight and cut the back for a Bo-Mar and added the CZC magwell to it and it runs great. Also Mec-Gar mags with the plus2 basepads are relatively cheap. Go for it!

I have a sao 75b. Was my first CZ. All the different things listed above were the little extra push I needed to get it over the standard 75. Biggest being the beaver tail. Much more comfortable for me. The gun has been 100%. No malfunctions or problems of any kind thru 1000's of rounds. It even makes me look like a decent shot.. I did change to a f/o front sight, blacked out the rear dots and put on the factory rubber grips. It comes with plastic ones. Best out of the box gun I have ever owned.

Russell, the SA is a much better frame than the 75b DA/SA:

Depending a bit on your particular hands maybe, I like them both but get a better fit where my strong hand drops in under the beavertail with the da/sa frame. More pressure where I want it during recoil.

I would agree to get something DA/DA, then if you want to take out the disconnector and swap the trigger, it becomes a SAO. But you could always put the parts back in for production. I would say just get a 75 shadow, or sp01, or sp01 shadow, unless you specifically want the firing pin block. (shadow models do not have one, which helps with improving the trigger)

One other option is the 75B but in stainless. For the stainless only they for some reason always seem to use the 75SA frame molds. Beaver tail and enlarged mag release. Still DA/SA with FPB.

CZ_75_B_1_1200.jpg

Before I knew what was going on in competition shooting, my first gun was also a 75B SA in .40, there is something intriguing about them, lol. I think for me part of it was the slab side slide, and full length guide rod, but now you can get those in the shadow. I shot limited 10 for a while before upgrading to a 2011 and moving to limited.