Another batch:

125gr BBI TC

1.111” - 1.119” OAL variation

3.85gr Prima V (10 drop average)

CCI #550 SP Mag primer

Well worn, mixed brass

Approx 65 degrees

10 rounds over the chrono through Q5 Match:

(At this point my eyes were bulging a little bit. I actually shot 15 rounds, but it kept rejecting duplicates of 1,111 feet per second.)

Power factor: 139.2

Standard Deviation: 1.6

I then stagger-loaded a buddy’s load (147, 3.2 titegroup 132pf in this gun) into a mag with mine, and the two have an identical recoil impulse. Prima V really is softer.

(Through a 4.25” M&P this same 125gr ammo clocked 132.7PF too.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for the chrono info Memphis.

I still have about 4# each of SV and V to play with. I happen to look though my notes and found a great SV load with PD 124gr jhp with single digit SD. 

Cheap, clean and consistent. It’s the trifecta.

I have 2k PD 124gr JHP headed my way. Going to load them up with SV for my new SIG MPX. 

Edited by v1911

Anyone still having a hard time keeping consistent throws over longer runs? I find with prima V I have to check a powder drop every 100 or so just in case. 

From throw to throw it's pretty consistent but over say 500 rounds if I don't check, I can see a change of .4gr.

I do also see very low SD when I chrono but those rounds aren't spread over a long run.

Also adding some of my own data I put in a different thread:

Tried 3.2 of prima SV at 1.14 with blue bullets 147gr FP out of CZ SP01 Accushadow.

20 shot avg was 905 with std dev of 7.3. 

Edited by Fantom919

8 hours ago, Fantom919 said:

Anyone still having a hard time keeping consistent throws over longer runs? I find with prima V I have to check a powder drop every 100 or so just in case. 

From throw to throw it's pretty consistent but over say 500 rounds if I don't check, I can see a change of .4gr.

I do also see very low SD when I chrono but those rounds aren't spread over a long run.

Tried 3.2 of prima SV at 1.14 with blue bullets 147gr FP out of CZ SP01 Accushadow.

What I have found with prima v is the smaller granules migrants to the bottom of the powder measure making the charge up until you get around a 100 approximately  powder drops and it seems to stay on charge depending on how much powder you put in the powder measure. once the small granules run low the powder weight seems to drop a little that's why you are continually having to readjust the powder measure. I bought ten pounds of prima v and a got about a pound and half its a good powder but I won't buy any more it took me about five pounds to figure this out. I got some sport pistol and thats what I'll be using till something better comes along.

19 hours ago, Fantom919 said:

From what I've seen, PV and PSV both take a long time for the powder to actually settle.  I don't let the hopper drop under half full to be sure that everything is well settled before it gets to the bottom of the hopper.  The real issue is that because it takes so long to settle, it can be frustrating.  I've had times where I did 20-30 drops and thought it was settled because it seemed steady, ran some rounds and checked and was half a grain or so higher than previously.  Once it is finally settled though, it seems to be good for the long haul, but you have to play that game again if you empty the hopper at any point.

Both are great powders as long as you are aware of that.  I recently started testing BA 9 1/2 and initial results look promising.  Supposed to be similar to N320, but it definitely seems to meter better.

Testing complete in my P320 X5. 125gr coated lead, 3.5gr of PV @1.13 with WSP's is netting me 129.5 PF and a SD of 4.3. 

Thanks to MM, for the technical assistance to dial in the crimp

Edited by rocket99

1 hour ago, rocket99 said:

Testing complete in my P320 X5. 125gr coated lead, 3.5gr of PV @1.13 with WSP's is netting me 129.5 PF and a SD of 4.3. 

Thanks to MM, for the technical assistance to dial in the crimp

I'd be interested in learning what you did for the crimp.

8 hours ago, ddc said:

I'd be interested in learning what you did for the crimp.

He sent a PM saying his load was smoky.

Since PV is not supposed to be smoky, I had him pull a bullet, find damage, then dial his crimp die back until it barely removes all traces of belling and returns the rim to being straight.

No more excessive smoke.

9 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

He sent a PM saying his load was smoky.

Since PV is not supposed to be smoky, I had him pull a bullet, find damage, then dial his crimp die back until it barely removes all traces of belling and returns the rim to being straight.

No more excessive smoke.

very good to know, thanks!