Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle flip control on NYS compliant AR

Schu

I just finished my first build with a NYS complaint setup

My desire is to shoot 3G. In comparison to other AR setups that I have shot (all non-compliant) with a nice comp/break/etc... my muzzle rise is significant.

Since I cannot add a brake/compensator.....

What is the best way to control muzzle flip?

Below is my setup...

My one feature is removable mag.

Thordson stock

18" .750 stainless barrel, thread protector, Rifle gas

15" SLR Helix handguard

JP adjustable gas block

Nickel-boron BCG

Slick side upper

spikes "standard" carbine spring/buffer.

thread protector

MTAC 1x4

Thoughts that I have.

Change to:

Low Mass BCG by JP and move to Silent capture by JP with low spring weight, then adjust my gas block to the lowest possible setting with still reliably locking back on empty...

I'm new to the platform. I have shot IPSC/S-C, but want to step up to 3G.

I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like your on the right track. I have a FRS-15 setup on one of my AR's. Without being able to use a brake, you are limited to doing all the other "tricks" to limit recoil.

Using the low mass BCG will help a little. Not sure if a SCS would do anything, but I run them in all my AR's.

Good shooting technique will be a bit more important to help mitigate the recoil impulse.

I feel for ya. Being here in CA we know the pain of out of control gun laws....but at least we can still have muzzle brakes.

Edited by BigBamBoo

I lived in NY until 2 years ago - had an AR w/o a comp ....

Sold it, and moved to Florida.

You have to be a Real He-Man to shoot an AR, w/o a comp, and

be competititve in 3-gun - I chose to move to Florida, instead.

Good luck with it.

Guess as long as you compete in NY, you should be fine :)

LMOS and light buffer. Retune the fas block and spring for reliable function and you will be about as far as you can go. Also... There is a great deal of muzzle movement you can overcome with technique. I'm curious to know if NY has defined specifically what a comp is. Does a legal description exist? The reason I ask is because you might be able to have compensator features machined into the barrel itself.

LMOS and light buffer. Retune the fas block and spring for reliable function and you will be about as far as you can go. Also... There is a great deal of muzzle movement you can overcome with technique. I'm curious to know if NY has defined specifically what a comp is. Does a legal description exist? The reason I ask is because you might be able to have compensator features machined into the barrel itself.

Which is MagnaPorting, and like Doug said, is Open Division.

What would be the difference between a comp pinned and welded to a barrel and a barrel with ports machined into the last 3" of it?

Realistically, not a thing. Just ignorant politicians demonizing inanimate objects instead of demons.

What would be the difference between a comp pinned and welded to a barrel and a barrel with ports machined into the last 3" of it?

Realistically, not a thing. Just ignorant politicians demonizing inanimate objects instead of demons.[/quote

Well said, Dan.

Which is MagnaPorting, and like Doug said, is Open Division.

So, if the rifling is back bored and the compensator slots are machined into the free area, that would be open gun? Also... If the guy is in NY, would the local match director care? That's a whole other state, playing by a whole other set of rules. They might need to adapt to the conditions to have anything really fun to do.