Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the Classifier

rowdyb

Here is a little video I made the other day when I decided to shoot the classifier for my live fire practice. It turned out to be one of my better runs at the classifier, which surprised as I felt clunky on every draw and every slide lock reload. But as is critical in IDPA I shot very few points down.

Each of my strings, times, points down and some general advice and philosophy about shooting the classifier.

HERE

ps-nothing i did would properly embed the video.... sorry.

Edited by rowdyb

Yes it is. I normally shoot the classifier in the mid 80's, so to drop into the 70's was a nice surprise on what felt like some suboptimal things.

It is probably because we were watching you and you didn't want to disappoint. :roflol:

I'm lucky enough to be with-in driving distance of a monthly classifier match. I'm a solid SS and feel like I hit a wall. Watching your video has given me some motivation.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. It was soo hot and humid I didn't want to do much of what I normally do at the range and I hadn't shot the classifier in a while. I made SSP MA off a bump and ESP MA off shooting the classifier. Last I tried in CCP a while ago I was within 2 seconds of MA there.

I think with a some concerted effort I could get in the 60's with just repping this for a few weeks. I could knock 0.50 a lot of places here...

But like I said, it's easy to set up and a good use of 90 rounds if you can't think of anything else to do. Or if you're new it's a nice metric to track progress. Especially if you keep your old score sheets and can see your times and such for each string of each stage.

I don't feel that the current classifier is a true test of a shooters skills and abilities. Sure it's a starting point to get shooters classified but that's about it. IMO getting a match bump is waaaay more credible than shooting the classifier to move up in class. Just my opinion.

Edited by buller01

I don't feel that the current classifier is a true test of a shooters skills and abilities. Sure it's a starting point to get shooters classified but that's about it. IMO getting a match bump is waaaay more credible than shooting the classifier to move up in class. Just my opinion.

I have to disagree to a point.

While it does feel like more of an accomplishment when beating other shooters, you can also get an undeserved bump. If you game it, you can attend a match that would be ideal for a match bump. But then you end up getting your arse handed to you in the next classification. I saw one shooter endure a year of getting their butt stomped for a year before they could appeal their classification and drop down a peg.

On the other hand, you can get people that practice the classifier enough to earn a bump. Then they get their butt handed to them because they're a paper rank. But it does provide a more level playing field which to measure your own performance growth.

That's why I love America, we can agree to disagree. There will always be sandbaggers. If a shooter games it to get a bump then I would say they deserve the continued ass whoopins if they can't perform at the necessary level. Personally it means more and is more credible to get a bump at a major match.

I've never shot the classifier. Only been shooting IDPA for about 3 months. I shot a monthly match at a local club and had the best score. Guys were calling me a sandbagger. It was 6 stages. I had the best overall score on 3 stages. The closest score to mine was 25 pts. There were no master class and only one expert. I think I just got lucky.

One guy said I should make expert "if I don't sandbag it".

I've been hesitant to practice the classifier. Didn't want to getter a better score on paper.

Focus on your actions, not on the outcomes. The result is what it is and out of your control. What you're doing, shooting in the "now" is under your control. So just focus on that.

I didn't say the classifier was a good test of skill, I said or meant to say I think it is a good metric to gauge your own personal progress. ( like the original Hackathorn Standards as a good test of overall pistol shooting skill. But no one really does it any more. Probably because it is hard. hahhaha. Though I know the IDPA classifier took some of its aspects from it.)

How many IDPA Masters do you know who say they can't shoot a MA level classifier? I know plenty. I know very few people who can shoot a master level classifier that aren't. This I think is most telling.

I have enough IDPA trophies I don't need to prove anything. The only thing I haven't done is finish in the top 10 as a Master at Nats. I'll make that goal though. 2015 IDPA Worlds, 13th SSP MA. 2014 IDPA Nats, 16th SSP MA. 2013 (my first year shooting) 10th SSP EX. Each year I get a little better, so top ten isn't unreasonable at Nats.

Edited by rowdyb

B_RAD, you don't want to practice the classifier?

Why not? Getting a classification better than my current abilities is the most motivating thing to make me go home and practice. I'd rather be last place master than first place expert. Or 8th place expert than first place sharpshooter.

I don't see why people try to hide in lower classes to grab a first place plaque. If it didn't say Master on it, I wasn't interested. Practicing the classifier will make you a better shooter in many ways. Go nuts on it, IMO.

Work your turning draws and reloads like mad in dryfire, then shoot it again. Work on distance shooting so you don't hemmorhage points on stage 3. Then shoot it again.

And so forth.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

MM, I remember feeling the same way when maybe I got a new belt in martial arts a little quickly. "Well, now I'm in the deep end of the pool. Better work hard to make sure I belong here." And like you, as time has passed I care more about overall placing in an IDPA match or find more personal enjoyment from shooting at MA than I did at SS or EX. (except the one time I was DC at a match as EX)

B_RAD, you don't want to practice the classifier?

Why not? Getting a classification better than my current abilities is the most motivating thing to make me go home and practice. I'd rather be last place master than first place expert. Or 8th place expert than first place sharpshooter.

I don't see why people try to hide in lower classes to grab a first place plaque. If it didn't say Master on it, I wasn't interested. Practicing the classifier will make you a better shooter in many ways. Go nuts on it, IMO.

Work your turning draws and reloads like mad in dryfire, then shoot it again. Work on distance shooting so you don't hemmorhage points on stage 3. Then shoot it again.

And so forth.

I meant I didn't want to practice and game it.

I want to get classified!

I want to classify as high as my current skill level allows.

Then I want to work my arse off and get better!

MM, I remember feeling the same way when maybe I got a new belt in martial arts a little quickly. "Well, now I'm in the deep end of the pool. Better work hard to make sure I belong here." And like you, as time has passed I care more about overall placing in an IDPA match or find more personal enjoyment from shooting at MA than I did at SS or EX. (except the one time I was DC at a match as EX)

The primary benefit of being highly ranked is that you never have to worry about shooting the classifier ever again. Unless you want to do so alone, for practice. Getting classified on a day when 30 other people are also doing the exact same thing is like having teeth pulled. ;)

IMO, making master doesn't mean much if you're still losing to EX shooters. Sure, every shooter has a bad day. But we all know of at least 1 shooter that makes you scratch your head and wonder how they achieved their classification. I know that as an EX shooter, I take pride in beating MA shooters. Doesn't happen often, but it is more rewarding.

Oh I know more than one! There are those that just want the title and are content with losing to EXP or SS classed shooters. I would find it embarrassing.

Oh I know more than one! There are those that just want the title and are content with losing to EXP or SS classed shooters. I would find it embarrassing.

I'd feel the same.

I hope when I classify that I make expert.

Anyone care to share where they're getting their direction on how to train? Which drills ?

I've got some books but so far they seem to instruct on the fundimentals of shooting. I'm looking for something that has directions on drills.

Thanks.

get Brian Enos's book. It is a great book. I had to read it a couple of times. I have picked most of my drills from a couple of classes I have taken as well as working the basics like transition drills, bill drills etc. Ben Stoeger has a really good book as well.