Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

oops.....potential issue....Stoeger, Beretta, Predator Tactical Shotgu

TRUBL

Not huge deal......but this last week. My son has been practicing reloading both our Stoeger M3000 and Predator Tactical Shotguns. And found a potential issue with both of the shotguns we have.

One thing to note is that these shotguns all have a 2 piece shell catch.

Sooooo......if you have one try this.

1) Load your tube

2) put a shell on the carrier

3) toggle your bolt release button backward.....now, I mean toggle it backwards, not in. basically....lift up on the front of that big ass button you have on your bolt release

What just happened? Another shell came out of the tube......now clear it......good luck with that, but you might want to learn how to clear that now, in case you would happen to bump that big ole' button on your bolt release!!

Solution?......yep, Red Neck Tactical bolt release tab. Covers the button, you can no longer toggle it. Or at least take that big ass button off your bolt release.

They fit on the Stoeger and the Predator Tactical......not sure on the 1301 at this point.

We took our buttons off replaced them.

correct......but it has drawbacks.

Yup, and known about for sometime. Glad your young man found out before a major match.

Yes he is......and he did like me toggling it a couple time to reinforce just how to clear it either.....but he did learn. AND.....all but demanded me to put the red neck tab on, he's kinda respectable in that way ya know.

It was at that point that he really hated his shotgun.....he doesn't like ticking time bombs I guess. It's all better now!!!

Edited by TRUBL

Another reason to avoid a welded lifter if you can or at least have a slot that allows access to the double feed from below. That accidental, additional shell is a lot easier to get back into the tube if one of those options is available to you.

Actually......it happened to my son, not sure how he did.....I think he was reloading, one shell didn't go all the way in the tube, popped out and I'm thinking that his hand may have toggled it back or something like that.....not sure, but he defiantly was not trying to do it. And being an old timer in this sport.....and basically only shooting 1100's and M2's up to this point I wanted to see just how that could happen.....and didn't like it for sure......but thats just me maybe

That issue has been all over the .net especially related to the 1301...but has it ever happened to anyone unless you were TRYING to make it happen?

Ive seen it happen a few times. Shooter reloads, goes to flip gun over and hits oversized bolt release. Feeds one onto the lifter and one halfway out of the tube. 930s are the most common i've seen it happen to.

That issue has been all over the .net especially related to the 1301...but has it ever happened to anyone unless you were TRYING to make it happen?

Ive seen it happen a few times. Shooter reloads, goes to flip gun over and hits oversized bolt release. Feeds one onto the lifter and one halfway out of the tube. 930s are the most common i've seen it happen to.

The 930 is a different animal and will feed a shell when the bolt release is pushed/pressed in about any direction. The Beretta and Stoeger have to be manipulated just so to make it happen

SO he hit again last night during practice........so today, I took off the (big ass) button, put the screw back in ( you need it on the PT shotgun). bent up a red neck release tab, fit it on the frame.....seems to work fine. I think he is hitting on his reloads.....well, it should not happen anymore, with the RN tab on, you can't get at the button to toggle it back.

Tim

So Pat......you trying to be a comedian? It's not working......you are actually being a BA

And...ok.....so as of that night I had only done one, the PT shotgun was going to be done the next day as it was just a little more involved....so shoot me, it didn't happen and we went out shooting again, when it happened again, I made it a priority, fixed today, but Pat, feel free to continue to be a BA.....you seem to have a calling.

Edited by TRUBL

You took off the BA Button of Twice? I thought you took it off your guns in the first post?

Wow that is a subborn BA button...thanks for saving us from those BA Buttons!

How could we survive without the RN tab.

lol

The 930 is a different animal and will feed a shell when the bolt release is pushed/pressed in about any direction. The Beretta and Stoeger have to be manipulated just so to make it happen

The most popular BA button for the Mossberg 930 can actually eliminate that 'feature' of the gun. Rather than bolting to a drilled/tapped surface of the existing bolt release, it seats over it and creates an over-travel stop to prevent a shell from being accidentally fed from the tube when the release is grabbed on a closed bolt. It moves enough to release the bolt, but not a shell.

Release-Polished-Top.jpg

I rarely see a 3-Gunner empty their shotgun by pushing in their lifter and dumping shells, especially with extended lifters often causing the shells to bind on the way out. The button serving as anything but a bolt release on a shotgun being flipped over for loading on the clock seems to cause more problems than it solves.

The Mossberg button from the factory is most likely to double feed shells onto the lifter when pushed straight back toward the stock. This manifests under stress when you grab your oversized bolt handle and start to rack it back, dragging against the bolt release at the same time. When you try to get Mossberg's factory bolt release to perform the shell release 'feature' at all you always get multiples. Best to eliminate the cons of the design, rather than depend on the pros ever working right in the first place. Unless 'right' is trying to dump the entire magazine into your finger that is holding the lifter up.

:ph34r:

Unless 'right' is trying to dump the entire magazine into your finger that is holding the lifter up.

:ph34r:

Been there done that. Sucks when you're not ready for it. Not as bad as pinching your thumb in an unopened loading port against the lifter though. My 930 is drying, a friend has one but is unmodified but I learned my lesson and am gonna run a pump next match.

I actually unload my 930 from the bottom when practicing quads, or clearing a gun at the end of a stage. Actually I unload pretty much every shotgun from the bottom when I'm ROing or just screwing around in the shop. Only had a problem with the 930 once when hitting the button, but that might have been before I got the OR3gun button. Then again, when I manipulate the gun, my hands don't really go near that button unless I mean for them to.

Edited by swordfish

Gee Pat, I didn't know that you held such animosity for my RNT closer tab. Is it just too cheap for what it does? Not cool enough? Lacks the amount of bling you require? Too easy to install? Doesn't work the way it is supposed to? Instead of just a quick little smear at the end of you jousting with Tim, why don't you just come out and tell us all why the RNT closer tab is such a bad product. Enquiring minds want to know!

With all due respect this "jousting thing" has gotten out of control.

My only point (and one others have made) is that the oversize bolt carrier release is not really an issue.

100's if not 1000's of them are out and in use with nary a problem.

I have and use the "slick and smartly simple" RNT release tab. In fact is was the very first release enhancement I ever used!

I have apologized via PM to Tim and now I will do the same to this assemblage.

I am sorry for having taken this thread into an area that has made two very nice guys upset.

My intent (poorly executed) was, as I said above, was to only illustrate that the issue Tim was having was not an issue that is new, but one that is rare.

I got the feeling that my apology to Tim via PM was not accepted, as this transgression was over the top, but I sincerely hope that my long time amigo

Kurt will.

Sincerely

Patrick.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Of course I do Pat! Not that big a thing, it just surprised me is all.

To clarify, I make the tab for Benellis. I have never said they cure anything on any other gun. I do know that they work well on several other guns with a bit of modification and some they just drop right on, but that is all up to the end user. I make them for Benellis.

As to the joust, I was aware of the problem that Tim talked about, and I have seen a couple of guys at matches have exactly that happen and light into cussing people of Italian and Turkish heritage.... or at least their engineering prowess (that is how I know the tab can be made to work on 1301s and Stoegers.), but I am sure that it is rare.