Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Attitude Vs Technique

38supPat

Due various posts dealing with technique, I feel this post is nessessary.

If you watch the top IPSC shooters, there is a great amount of variety in the technique, or style that they use. There is no template. Due to body style, personality type, and shooting background, each has a distinct difference in how they get the job done.

Its their attitude towards learning that is so important. Most of the ones I have shot with over the years would not hesitate to listen to another shooter regardless of class, experience, or Division.

Having talked with Todd, Jerry M., Jerry B., TGO, Max Michel, TT, BE, Matt B. Jerry M. and too many others to remember. They all ask questions about stages, how different people shot them, and how they did. And while most of their techniques are pretty sorted out, most are willing to try something if there apears to be of benifit.

The shooters that are most limited in there ability to improve, and I have run across many of these over the years, are the ones that will not talk or listen to anybody from a lower class, they may preach, but they won't listen. I have gotten great tips on shooting or approaches to stages from competitors in all classes, from D to GM.

Ignoring the advice of newer or lower class shooters is a poor approach, for many reasons, the two most important being:

A) I find shooters that are on a different part of the learning curve might observe something that I am doing, not because they know more than me, but because it might be something they are dealing with too. We can all fall victim to letting bad habits sneak into our repetoire. Its easy to overlook it because we thought we sorted it out long ago. But someone just coming up the ladder might spot it because its a trouble spot for them too. Only the most arrogant will believe they have everything figured out. Beware the shooter that won't accept criticism, they are not as good as they think they are.

B) Newer shooters will become afraid to ask questions if they see something wrong, for fear of being ridiculed or pooh-poohed because they are in a lower class. You should never be afraid to walk up to any shooter and ask why he/she did something...maybe not right before they start a stage, some personalities don't deal with that very well.

One of the great things (there are many) about this forum is that there is no hiearchy. Anyone from any class or sport can ask or answer questions without being told, "You haven't won anything so what would you know"

Quote: from Loves2Shoot on 12:45 pm on Jan. 12, 2003

Great post, when you stopg learning, time to try something else.

The funny thing is that I am trying something new this year, but I take all the experiences I have learned from shooting with me. Some of the most helpful guys I met when I started racing this year, I ended up beating as the season wore on, some of this may be equipment related (I love my car... )but you know what even though I beat them, I still go to them with many questions. They have far more experience than I, why wouldn't I take advantage of that?

Great post Pat. And it's kind of synchronistic because that has been a recurring theme for me lately. (What matters if you wish to progress, that is.)

Leaving aside the very small influence of one's physical capacity, the presence or absence of certain aspects of your personal will dictate how far you will progress in a particular endeavor. Drive, determination, openness, attention to details, relentlessness, and egolessness (at the appropriate moments), are what matter, not how you hold the gun or what you look at.

be

Brian is so quick that he can edit faster than the computer knows it is being done, hence the no edit disclaimer...

Lets see if I am as quick...

(Edited by bird at 8:44 pm on Jan. 16, 2003)

• 6 years later...