Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3rd match, did good until....the last stage

johnbu

Took the time and drove 2 hours to a match Saturday. Decided to follow the advice given and only shoot as fast as GOOD sight alignment would allow. Worked pretty well. Had ZERO mikes and ZERO deltas for the first 5 stages. Last stage was a classifier 03-18. Needed to shoot some stong hand only and then some weak hand only. Felt pretty good on the line as I've dry fired SHO WHO, but obviously not enough live fire. Tossed off 2 delta and 4 mikes WHO.

Sigh. Was doing good with hit factors in the low 4 one mid 5 one mid 3. That last stage... 2.0

I've found I usually get very slow, but excellent hits WHO. I guess I concentrate extra hard while shooting weak hand because its still so seemingly unfamiliar. Eye dominance should be a relatively easy fix with a spot of tape, or if its only on weak hand shots a bit of a squint in the non-dom eye.

How about we flip this around a bit... You identified you need to work on your one handed shooting.

But it sounds to me like you had a great time and had 5 GOOD stages where you able to find a plan that fit your ability, executed them well and were very accurate. Keep it up!

How about we flip this around a bit... You identified you need to work on your one handed shooting.

But it sounds to me like you had a great time and had 5 GOOD stages where you able to find a plan that fit your ability, executed them well and were very accurate. Keep it up!

Thanks! I do tend to obsess on the negatives.

Now to dedicate more time learning to shoot one handed!

I shot six chickens over the weekend and was running great until the far left target array. Tossed two mikes with my strong hand so I feel your pain. Gripping the gun hard has been my challenge as my brain apparently thinks it's a fragile piece of glass.

Edited by Delta66

I shot six chickens over the weekend and was running great until the far left target array. Tossed two mikes with my strong hand so I feel your pain. Gripping the gun hard has been my challenge as my brain apparently thinks it's a fragile piece of glass.

Yeah, it's weird how that happens.

On WHO and SHO, a tip that really helped me is to make a fist with the empty hand and tuck it into your opposite chest and hold it there with tension. Creates a girdle of muscles in shoulders/chest/back that help you better stabilize the gun hand.

And since you have to take time to switch hands and normally reload anyway, you'll have time to shift your feet to put which ever foot is the side holding the gun more forward than the other. That's helped me too but you can try it and see if it works for you.

Practice this in live fire and dry fire and you'll begin to crush those that don't.

Working it and ran a bunch.

Picture is left target left hand only, center target is two hand, right target is right hand only. 17 yds

All shots were fired double action only to require better trigger control.

Yeah, it's not great, but getting better. A little.

20160620_163012_zpstvxspibv.jpg

Thanks. But shooting all of them DAO was slllloooooowwwww.

Still, the ability to shoot one handed is getting a bit better. And a slow hit scores higher that a fast miss.

• 1 month later...