Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Round counts and parts breakages

TFin04

Anybody have high round count P09's?

Here is a link to a thread about an 09 with 40k through it.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=69565.0

Interesting

I have this theory that the polymer frame acts as a shock absorber for the slide stop

Edit: take that back, thinking of the phantom. I forgot the duty models operate differently

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

I have a SP01 Shadow with about 14k rounds through it. Just had to replace the 11 lb recoil spring, otherwise it's still all original parts (what I received from CZ Custom).

Update - After another 700 rounds, my trigger return spring broke. Holy hell was it a pain to replace with another CZC one. It inspired me to order a CGW floating pin, which comes with the slave pin to help. And maybe I ordered some other stuff while I was there...

• 2 weeks later...

14,762 broken slide stop

22,715 broken slide stop

27,175 broken extractor

32,216 broken slide stop

32,489 broken trigger return spring

39,135 broken slide stop

49,155 broken slide stop

60,089 r&r barrel worn out. All ammo fired with Titegroup and 124/125 gr bullets.

62,194 and through pistol. Somewhere in all of this the rear sight broke. The portion of the sight behind the dove tail was not under cut so there was tension on the rear of the sight all the time. There should be a small gap (.001-.002") between that area of the sight and the slide.

That's a lot of slide stops. What weight recoil spring do you run?

@Beyond it all. 11 lb recoil spring. Sorry for the slow reply.

• 3 weeks later...

No idea of number of rounds or previous replacement work but I recently bought an old (1988) Pre B CZ 85 supposedly surplus Israeli police use.

While waiting on the gun to come in I bought a bunch of springs/pins (just in case).

I took it apart the other day. Lots of light brown dust around the grip screws and under the grips. Lots of gooey grease/crud inside the pistol in those hard to reach places.

The recoil spring and hammer spring were replaced. Couldn't really see any difference in the springs (wear/length) but the hammer spring (also replaced the hammer pin) replacement changed the trigger pull. No more (slight) stop before the sear released the hammer. It moves back, then releases. Can't feel that little stop I felt on it before or that I feel with my P07/P09 guns.

The magazine release spring was compressed/weakened. The new one was twice as wide at the tips as the old one.

The trigger bar spring was obviously worn where the bar legs rest on it. Big shiny spots with missing metal. I didn't see any loss of metal on the bottom of the trigger bar itself.

The barrel is in terrible shape inside. Dark between the lands (multiple cleanings haven't gotten it shiny yet, but I haven't given up) with some pitting on the lands that is easy to see (with my eyes I usually take that as being pretty large pits.) No idea if that is due to neglect in cleaning or corrosive ammo use, but no sight of pitting inside the slide/frame.

I also replaced the extractor/extractor spring and pin but I really couldn't see much difference between the new and old extractor. The old extractor spring was definitely shorter than the new one.

The trigger spring was also much shorter between the tips of the legs. Getting the new one in was a challenge. I ended up cutting a small nail with a pair of needle nose pliers and filing it to length to use as a slave pin. Easy after that. I put the pin in the bag with the (spare) old parts. Could come in handy some day.

I've seen minimum lengths listed for springs on other forums about other guns (M1A's, M1 Garands, 1911's, etc.) Is there a list or chart somewhere on CZ handgun spring lengths?

14,762 broken slide stop

22,715 broken slide stop

27,175 broken extractor

32,216 broken slide stop

32,489 broken trigger return spring

39,135 broken slide stop

49,155 broken slide stop

60,089 r&r barrel worn out. All ammo fired with Titegroup and 124/125 gr bullets.

62,194 and through pistol. Somewhere in all of this the rear sight broke. The portion of the sight behind the dove tail was not under cut so there was tension on the rear of the sight all the time. There should be a small gap (.001-.002") between that area of the sight and the slide.

There is somebody out there who tracks round count that closely ?

There is somebody out there who tracks round count that closely ?

It's not in the least bit difficult. Pack your ammo into 100-round boxes for the range and record how many you use each time. If something goes haywire, it only takes a couple seconds to determine round count up to that point.