Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lumberjack make-up

ErikW

That's a good one Erik!

I remember John Shaw making one (of his many) classic statements, one year after getting smoked in a (steel) shoot-off  bout - "Man, all I saw was dirt clods flying up everywhere - it looked like World War III out there."

;)

I go by wood flying = a "D" hit.  A "D" is a miss you got away with.

Unless its cover.

At last years AWARE, one of the stages had hard cover pine trees.  I called "A","C" on the second target, and moved on to the next.  I saw wood fly.  Thought must have been "D", don't go back.  Shoot the rest of the stage as the idea is slowly grinding around in the back of my head, It was a TREE, not a "D".  Spun back and made up the shot.  

You're right Rich, wood flying off the target is a D hit (and worthy of a makeup unless Viriginia count). However, I was thinking of wood props. I just can't believe how much wood deflects the bullets from their original path to the taret. Sunday I grazed a vision barrier, saw wood fly, and continued. That target was an Alpha-Mike.

We have some unstable standards for the papertargets and when you hit the wood of the standard the target will flutter in a particular way. The movement of the paper and flying wood is defenitely a reason for placing an extra shot.

Otherwise the score would be

A, D if your are lucky

or

A, W(oody) is you have bad luck.

Greetings

Ohhhh, man that's harsh!!!! Detlef, is it Friday already?

Lynn, I said it's worthy of a make up shot.

A33435, a fluttering target is good indicator. Sometimes wood chips don't fly but the targets flutter. A "W" is just an upside-down "M".

More thoughts...

Shooting iron sights, you're more apt to notice lumberjacking close props/vision barriers because your focus is near your muzzle. (And maybe less apt to be chopping wood because you might see the prop better.) But you're less apt to notice wood flying from target stands.

Shooting a dot sight, you're focused on the target and less apt to see the prop in your way and the lumberjacking going on. Fortunately, you've got "wider" vision and you may see the wood chips and sawdust blow out toward the target.

Reminds me of a big match I shot. Popper was about 12 yards downrange partially behind a wall from where I shot it. I shot it through the wall, by accident, and at the end the RO says MISS. I said its down how can it be miss? He said your hole shows you shot it through the wall. I said how could I make it up if its already down so it must be range equipment failure. After much MD discussion, reshoot. Moral of story, don't put steel partially behind wood

• 2 weeks later...

For some of our stages, we put steel behind a wood wall but in front of the target. That made the wall real hard cover. The steel has a hole in it. We put a bolt through the steel then put a coil spring between the wall and the steel hard cover. The spring makes it ring like a bell when hit. When you hear the sound of the gong you know you hit the hard cover instead of the target behind it. We have a rule for hard cover at some of our matches. If the bullet gets through it then I guess it isn't hard cover.

Bill Nesbitt