Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Random heavy trigger

dansedgli

This has happened in 2 of my stis now.

Out of nowhere my trigger gets real heavy. Off my 2kg trigger gauge heavy.

I pull the gun apart and inspect, dont find anything and put it back together and all good for a little while.

I often shoot a match without issue then clear and dryfire the gun before putting it away and it will be really heavy.

It is just dirt (i clean guns often) or can something else do this?

The trigger break feels the same, its just more effort to get it there.

I'm curious to see what it ends up being. I bought a Lyman trigger gauge a few months back and of course had to test every trigger in the safe. My kimber custom ii, older one maybe 12-15 years old, less than 2k rounds through it probably, was all over the place. I haven't tackled it yet but keep it in back of my mind as what causes that. OP guns should be 70 series design right? I figured my issue was due to kimber safety setup

Red

• 7 months later...

So this has started happening on my open gun too.

Shot it the other night, went to dry fire it as I putting it away and it felt heavy. Tested the pull weight and it's off my scale which is a max of 2kg/4.5lbs. 

Can worn sear and hammer surfaces cause this?

something is binding the trigger bow, things to check:

2011 grip screws if loose it will cause the trigger bow to bind

Over travel adjustment, as in not enough.

Over all fit of the trigger bow and shoe, if it is to loose movement can be nonlinear and cause it to bind. 

Vertical movement of the rear of the trigger bow, the part the disconnect rids on if this has excessive movement it causes the disconnect and sear to bind

Edited by 2011BLDR

Seems the mag in the gun is doing something to keep it working (besides supplying ammunition). 

I'd be checking everything the mag touches or could touch when in the gun. Trigger bow, disconnector, grip safety, mag catch (it's position may change and affect over travel screw when mag is removed). 

I'm sure there's other things, but this is where I'd start.