Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire trigger kit

want2race

If one existed, to give you an audible click during trigger pull and reset, would you be interested?

Would you be willing to swap the striker assembly for this? Sear housing? If it eliminated the risk of touching off a live round, would swapping parts then be worth it?

I've looked, didn't see anything for M&P's on the market. Did I miss it? After messing with the 320 for a couple weeks, I really liked dry firing it (trigger reset sear). For doing steel and fast transitions, the felt "click" really helped with feedback.

I replace my striker assembly every year.

Why don't you just buy a new assembly and file the tip of your old firing pin off?

No chance of an AD...

I'm pretty sure he's talking about trigger reset without having to rack the slide each time. I gave up on trying to do that... just put a folded piece of paper in the breach to shim the slide out of battery slightly. No clicking, but at least the trigger moves back and forth.

The real downside with the M&P platform is that it requires a punch and hammer to disassemble it so you would need to either have a spare dry-fire-only pistol set up or you'd need to keep taking the gun apart. In the few times I did it, I started to notice that it was getting easier and easier. I would imagine that's not a good thing.

That's one reason I initially looked at a dry fire striker assembly. Quick and easy to change, plus no tip. Couldn't ignite a primer. No worries about wearing the pin holes out. Ideally, the break feel would be tunable to match what you are used to.

Ok. One way to get around having to take it apart would be to make it fully functional. Still a work in progress. The trigger resets the sear right after releasing the striker. The click you hear after the first pull is the sear resetting. Not sure I like this design but I just threw it together to see if it could work.

That's pretty nice. I'm guessing the trigger pull weight isn't the same as a "real" trigger pull, right? Of course, it's not that way for the clicking of the P320 either.

How did you get the click? Did you set it up so the loop slips off the sear when pulled all the way back?

Yep, on both. Trigger pull is about half but at least I get the feedback of the click while on the sights. It was too much fitting to get the timing right though. Just a rough draft for the concept.

Too bad there is so much variance from one pistol to the next -- probably hard to create a drop in kit. Maybe you can work out the geometry... possibly use a small spring / plunger in channel of the sear housing that's the right length better simulate the weight of the trigger break.

I've used a lot of aim tech stuff, including that kit in an M&P, 1911, and Glock. I would say that it is a nice kit, but it isn't perfect.

The SIRT pistols are very nice and you can adjust the trigger quite a bit. Personally, I would use one of those over anything else.

I've also used the cool fire and it is nice as well but once again, I prefer the SIRT pistols over anything else.

(Full disclosure, I work for a company that sells all of these things and I have pulled the trigger on all of the setups thousands and thousands of times and personally own all of the items I mentioned)