Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Get A Caspian?

7b7

I have been looking at the Caspian website, and reading about Caspian on this site, but I was wondering how it works dealing with Caspian. How does a person go about putting together a Caspian gun?

Is it possible to buy a complete Caspian gun?

Do you piece together a Caspian?

Does Caspian only build aftermarket parts, which you replace on your original handgun?

Caspian does not build complete guns, only slides, frames and small components. They will sell you a matched slide and frame and I've heard that they are very accomidating when it comes to serrations, sight cuts and the like. I've also heard that they'll machine a slide even for a Schuemann Tribred type barrel. Many folks over at 1911forum.com have purchased matched slides and frames and completed some pretty cool home-built 1911's.

If you want a Caspian built, the first name that comes to my mind is Matt McLearn now that he is building guns again. The second name is George Smith at Evolution Gun Works (EGW). However, any good gunsmith can take quality components like those from Caspian and build a nice blaster out of them.

So then, do you build a Caspian from scratch. I mean start from nothing, put together all the parts that Caspian offers and add the parts that Caspian does not offer. And there you have it, a Caspian (all done with a Gun Smith).

Or, do you take something like a Kimber Custom II and start removing parts and adding Caspian Parts (such as a Caspian slide, receiver...)?

Best is to start from scratch..

get a caspian hi cap frame or single stack frame..slide to match and then take your pick of the best parts...

find a good smith with a good reputation and talk over your build. then be prepared to wait.. :D

• 1 year later...

I have two guns built by EGW, both have Caspian slides and STI frames. The Limited S&W 40 is going on about 30,000 rounds, the Open 9 x 23 is pushing 70,000 rounds. The Limited gun is running on all of its original parts, the Open gun was rebarreled around 60,000 rounds and has had the extractor changed a few times, being left handed, I break ambi safeties on both guns occasionally. Both guns are 99.999% reliable.