Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firearm abuse...

TacticalG34Tupperware

The mags (after they are dropped in dirt) are usually what fails first with my Glock.

You have to drill a drain hole in the mag extension, then all the rocks fall out without taking it apart. But then you have no excuse to help tape and reset, instead of cleaning your mags like some Open guys do.....

Glocks are just hammers, but the hammer has a better grip. Is this abuse? My oldest G19 still runs after the car fire even though the barrel cannot be removed from the slide because it tweaked it so badly.

image37362.jpg

image37104.jpg

image37103.jpg

I have two frames I use regularly. The match frame for club and major matches, and a practice frame that gets the same top end for center fire practice and a .22 top end for practice.

The match frame gets cleaned every four or five months and/or before a major. That's about 2500 to 3000 rounds between cleanings. The practice frame gets cleaned every four to six months, if I remember. It goes about 12000 to 14000 rounds a year, most of that is dirty .22 ammo through my conversion top end.

The slide will get Mobile 1 synthetic 30 weight on the metal guide rod and, barrel contact points, and the receiver gets some on the rails and connector, but that's just about all.

No malfunctions that I recall that weren't attributable to ammo, mags or old recoil springs.

Edited by kevin c

would you beleive me if I told you over 20k on a guys 1911 that I know? I routinely would go several thousand without cleaning on my 35. I would clean the barrel every few K shooting coated bullets but nothing crazy. Just oil it and go.

After 40K rounds on my G34 my cleanings keep getting further and further apart. Now I only clean it when I replace all the springs every 15K rounds. Never had a problem with the springs, I just replace the springs at that interval because it only costs $20 and provides peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned my G17 after 4k rounds because i was bored one night but was not having any hiccups.... just keep throwing lube on it and it seems to run. But I'm the jackass who has used my slide as a hammer to knock out pins of other guns at the range. My G19 carry gun gets a little better care.

When I first get a gun I shoot it until it isn't reliable while keeping track of the round count. Once I have that number I divise by 6 to get my cleaning intervals. That said the first 1911 I built went 5200 rounds of 230 grain lead ball before I cleaned it the first time so now I cleaner every 500 rounds or so but I need to run the test again with my new load of powder coated lead since it doesn't look very dirty at all after 500 rounds.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I clean everything after each range session. Could be why I've had almost no failures that weren't ammo related. I know the glocks will run filthy but why. I just don't like to abuse them like that. Im a little anal when it comes to cleaning my toys. Some of those pictures give me agida lol.

I clean mine every 500-1k ish which is basically a few practice rage trips and a match or two. I know it will run much dirtier than that but my ocd kicks in and I won't let go any longer.