Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR4895 for 223?

Lfree6

A friend who no longer reloads gave me 8 lbs of IMR4895, he used this to load for his 308. Can this be used for 223 in an AR for hosing close targets in 3 gun or should I just fertilize my lawn with it. I did find a few loads in my Lyman book but I don't want to waste my time if it won't really work well.

Larry

4895 (IMR or H) is one of, or THE most versatile powders out there. It works well for almost anything from a .22 hornet up to 30/06 provide your not shooting normal weight bullets. The powder will hand up a little in your Dillon. I use the same powder par setting for 24.2 TAC with some surplus 4895 so things stay the same which nets me 22.5 of 4895 which is a light load. It functions fine with 62g surplus bullets. This is what I load for practice.

There are some things that will help your Dillon: polish your funnel, use a Dillon powder alarm (the weight keeps the powder settled) and when the case is in the up position, give the handle a moment and a little tap to let any loose powder fall.

Thanks for the advise. Did you use a Dremel to polish the funnel ? If so what bits did you use?

I think I'll try to make a few 62 grain round with 22.5 oh 4895. What have I got to loose.

Larry

Edited by Lfree6

I can answer that question. I used a Dremel to polish the funnel for .223 and .308. Used a felt nib and some MAAS polishing compound. It took care of the bridging and spilling that was happening with my 650 when trying to load Varget in .223 loads.

I've not used IMR 4895 but I do use a lot of H4895. They are not identical, but they both seem to be very versatile. I have several accuracy loads in .308 with H4895. If I had to have only one powder on the bench, that would be it.

I would not spread 8 lbs of IMR4895 on the begonias. Save it, or give it to another guy who needs it. Or better yet, use it as a reason to buy a .308 and start loading for it. Lord knows there are worse excuses.

• 2 weeks later...

The 4895s are great for for 223. Used them for bullets as light as 50gr. If you want 3250fps in 55 grainers in a carbine it won't get you there. But you can get 2800-3000 fps, depending bullet, barrel and gas system. It does not measure great though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...