Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RTS2 vs 90 degree Slide Ride + RTS2 problems and hardware upgrade

Chillywig

Thought I should do a comparison between the RTS2 and slide ride and my experiences. When purchasing my new open gun I was told all the problems had been worked out of the RTS2 and the V3 sight had a capacitor built into the circuitry where if the sight lost contact with the battery it would have enough juice to finish a stage of fire.

On my second trip to the range this happened. https://youtu.be/rDYvwNMmVTw

Almost every time I fired the gun the sight would turn off and then it would take up to a minute before it would allow me to power it back on. After this happened several times the sight just quit powering on. I came home called C-more and described the problem. They asked if the sight was on an open gun and wanted to know if it was slide mounted or on a mount that did not move. I told them it was on a new CK Arms 9mm major on a CK mount. They said if the RTS2 sight is on an open gun they do an additional hardware modifications to the circuit board, some additional potting and a different battery tray. I asked them if I could look at the sight and tell if it was a V3 with the capacitor and the answer was even if it was a V3 they do additional mods specifically for open guns. I shoulf have asked if this was sold to CK Arms shouldn't C-more understand the sight was going to get mounted on an open gun? but didn't ask...

So I removed the sight from the gun and sent it to them at my cost - they did manage to turned it around in less that a week. They sent and invoice and they work preformed was called Item# 12070012 RTS2 repair - circuit board update v3-2C-BTFP-RS-P. Anyone know what that means? I was told the one visual difference I could see was the battery tray

post-22465-0-02824100-1463017820_thumb.j

That is the board with the capacitor. I think pretty much unless you order from Cmore and tell them it is going on a big boy gun you won't get the capacitors. Mine was a pretty darn new one and it did the turn off trick until I sent it in. Been running great since then.

I have to admit compared to the slide ride I do really like RTS2. I have had more than half a dozen slide rides and outside of dead batteries have never had a problem with one. Since C-more did the open gun upgrades to the RTS2 and about 1500 rounds later I have not had any issues with the sight.

The RTS2 seems about one notch brighter than the slide ride. I definitely like the way the slide ride power switch works better than the buttons on the RTS2 and it is kind of a PITA to turn on and off. The glass on the RTS2 seems to cause a little less image distortion but I do see a some bluing in the glass at the very top of the sight. My eye sees the dots about the same. I have a stigmatism so the dot has a bit of flaring around it. Even though the RTS2 sits higher than the slide ride I have not had any problems finding the dot. When I first started shooting open this was a big problem with the regular STI mount - switching to the 90 degree mount cured that problem. Here you can see the difference in DOT heights

post-22465-0-67144100-1463019163_thumb.j

Edited by Chillywig

How do you think it would hold up slide mounted, with the mods done to yours ??

I would assume the slide slamming back and forth creates more vibrations that just sitting around on a mount on an open gun - but the other dot makers have figured it out. Maybe C-more has too with this last revision.

I zeroed my slide ride at 18 yards so did the RTS2, pretty much right on from 10-25 yards out just a little hold over at really close target. Can't say much since I just switched to it, only shot a hundred rounds and one local match with it. Will need lots of dry firing since the index is off.

Thanks the for write up. It seems the question between the two is bulk vs height over bore. Do you notice much of a difference in change in poi at varying distances between the two?

My 38 super had a bit less POI shift. I zeroed the CK arms 9mm major RTS2 at 20 yards. It shoots 1-2" low at the closer targets and about 6-8" high at 100 yards. The 38 super seems to hit pretty close to the same PIO no matter the distance inside of 100 yards - but the groups were bigger. The KKM barrel groups a ragged one holer at 20 yards and the STI 38 super barrel shoots closer to 2". All this is subjective however...

What have others experienced as far as battery life between the RTS2 and slide ride? C-more specs say 300 to 1500 hours for both sights

I was shooting a 3 gun match this past weekend and forgot to turn the RTS2 on for one stage. After that I left it on the rest of the day.

What have others experienced as far as battery life between the RTS2 and slide ride? C-more specs say 300 to 1500 hours for both sights

I was shooting a 3 gun match this past weekend and forgot to turn the RTS2 on for one stage. After that I left it on the rest of the day.

I don't know, I have both, batteries are cheap so I leave my rts2 on all day, the railway I always used to turn it off between stages and I would say the battery life between the 2 are about the same.

I've been running my 2nd rts2 for nearly 2 years, I did the o-ring under the battery contact mod, and it's been running fine

• 4 months later...