Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back up gun?

rustychev

My gun died last night. Even though it was just a local match, I wish I had a back up gun.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you gave it a proper burial.

Absolutely. It gave it's life in the line of duty.

My gun died last night. Even though it was just a local match, I wish I had a back up gun.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you gave it a proper burial.

Absolutely. It gave it's life in the line of duty.

Might want to pay attention to this thread Blacklab....it was painful watching you run your bolt action open gun last week. :(

• 1 month later...

Well I broke down this week and picked up a second sig TME in 40 just need a mag well and full length guide rod and a set of grips and it will be a carbon copy of my primary gun.

My experience is that whenever you have a back up accessible you never need it. The second you decide to sell said back up, the primary will break at the most inopportune moment possible.

Murphy's Law. Ignore it at your peril.

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

O'Rourke's Addendum: Murphy was an optimist.

Examples:

Murphy's Law = President and Mrs. Lincoln go to Ford's Theater to see 'Our American Cousin' and the president is killed by John Wilkes Booth.

O'Rourke's Addendum = Two weeks later Mary Todd Lincoln gets billed for the theater tickets.

Just something to keep in mind ... or not.

If you compete and shoot a lot, I suggest you get a back-up gun with the same caliber. A twin is ideal so you don't need to bring other set of magazines and ammo. From my experience, one shooter in my squad at the Nationals pulls out the back-up gun not because the gun died but because the gun was no longer zero'ed after 4 stages.

If your budget is tight, you can always sell your extra gun to fund the other.

I have my backup guns the same as the primary so same ammo and mags. It is nice to have insurance at a big match that all the time and money are not wasted on a broken part.

Even if you can't afford a backup gun, it isn't a bad idea to have some key spare fitted parts for your firearm of choice. As has already been alluded to, it'd be a shame to put in all the time, effort and money to get to a match and not be able to enjoy it to the fullest because of a broken part.

I finally got a backup gun in the same caliber as my primary. It might not get shot that often, but at least I have the peace of mind knowing that I'm covered if anything breaks or I decide to send the main blaster in for some work.

I brought my backup pistol to the Nodic/Votex Tri-Gun last month. Lucas Oil's, Lisa Marie Judy was on my squad and her Glock stopped grouping on the second day. I loaned her my backup G34 and she finished the match. Love my backup guns. Makes new friends.

Edited by 72stick

• 2 months later...