Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

support hand index finger on fron tof trigger guard.

I have a habit of wrapping my booger hook over the front of the trigger guard. I shoot decent, but I wonder if having my finger there makes me pull or push on certain shots. Has anyone had to break this habit and if so how long did it take, and was it just countless draw and dryfire practice or is there any other way? sorry if it has been covered before.

Personally I am not a fan of keeping a finger on the front of the trigger guard. I feel like it would make me push or pull my shots if the pressure from that finger wasn't perfectly straight back. Of course you have to do what works best for you. If you shoot well with it and are comfortable then have at it. I keep my weak hand thumb forward so it is in line with my arm and if i extend the rest of my fingers they are at about a 45 degree angle. Hard to explain so here is a generic pic from google.

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/grip21.jpg

Edited by alan1985

I find that with specific guns it feels more comfortable to hang the finger over. But I agree, I am starting to worry im pushing and pulling my shots. The grip in the picture is what I go for most of the time, sometimes ill be burning through a stage and when I watch the video back, low and behold that stupid finger is out there

Edited by travisb2352

One quick way to break this habit is on draw make sure you have a touch point on the underside of the trigger gaurd, where the under cut that most people do on the gaurd. Let that be second nature on the draw and that will eliminate the push pull your finger may be causing

I use to but I quit when I was working on my draw and as I built it with speed I put my left index finger in the trigger guard, that could have been awkard or even a little dangerous if I had a round in the chamber, so i thought myself to stop doing it.

I used to do it, still will on my Ruger Mkii because it is small in my hands.

I re trained myself on my stock 2 after I realised that my grip and trigger control were far superior from under the trigger guard.

When I first started shooting (shooting my friends glock) with no instruction I was doing this. Instructor told me to nix it. Shooting groups were better, pulled less shots. I just tried putting my finger in front at the range after reading this thread. It just feels really weird and unnatural now. I cant get as good or consistent of a grip with my finger in front but it works well for some shooters. Few and far between from what I have read though.

Edited by MHitchcock

Do what ever is conferrable for you. I due use my finger over the trigger guard. And I spent a lot time balancing my hand pressure and Dry firing. For me I have better grab with my support hand. It's not for everyone,You'll have to find the things that work best for you.

Back in the early 80's that was the way to go.

I have not noticed anyone (under 65) shoot that way in years.

It evolved to where everyone want the trigger guard undercut.

I think this guy is younger than 65...

eric_grauffel1.jpg

But this guy is getting up there:

n1080321714_213081_3675.jpg