Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B - 1st Time Reloader - What Essential Did I Miss?

Second best mod for a SD. Runs smooth and quite now, like a Tesla. First best mod is to replace the plastic tipped magazine tube with a 650 brass tip tube, part number 22032. Mines been running for 10 years without a hitch. Dillon does not recommend this.

I agree that you don't need a strong mount or the bullet tray. I ran 3 of these for about 15 years for competition shooting. I do like the case gage though. Yes, you can use a barrel but I like the case gage. Just make sure your work bench is sturdy. I screwed a piece of press board to mine. It really stiffened it.

Lots of good info guys. I have my new to me square deal running 9mm and will pick up some of the tricks. I recommend 5 primer tubes just to keep pace with a 500rds box of bullets. I recommend a radio and NO TV in sight. You always want to see the powder in the third stage before placing the bullet. 4 innings of baseball equal 500 rds if you are prepped and taking your time.

Well, I got my orders in, and am now anxiously awaiting the Postman! :)

I did decide to eliminate the strong mount and the bullet trays to save money. I added a Lyman's reloading manual and a bullet puller which I hadn't thought of before, but was a suggested item on Amazon when I was buying the Frankford Arsenal tumbler.

I've got 1,500 of the 165 grain XTreme bullets coming, and was able to get them at 20% off with free shipping, so that worked out nice! I picked up 1 pound of Titegroup powder and 1,000 Winchester small pistol primers this morning from a local gun shop for a little higher than I could find online, but less than it would have been with the hazmat fee.

I'm planning on starting with 2.6 grains of Titegroup with the 165 grain bullet, and walk it up .1 grain at a time until I make minor power factor. I've seen a few different folks at 2.6, 2.7, or 2.8 grains, so I imagine it won't be far off. I'm shooting it out of a 5" M&P with the Apex barrel.

The tumbler and scale already showed up from Amazon, so I'm currently running batches of brass through there since I've got time before the press comes in. I'm sure it will come out much cleaner than the soap water bath method!

The tricky part is OAL and crimp ... :surprise:

Do The Plunk Test, early, set your OAL, and then go to work

on getting your "crimp" correct.

Don't forget to chrono your loads - you can set up a target

behind the chrono at 15 yards and get an idea of accuracy

at the same time.

Oh, and don't load too many cartridges until you make sure

they work, have the right velocity and are accurate - don't sit down

and churn out 100 of them, just yet. :cheers:

The tricky part is OAL and crimp ... :surprise:

Do The Plunk Test, early, set your OAL, and then go to work

on getting your "crimp" correct.

Don't forget to chrono your loads - you can set up a target

behind the chrono at 15 yards and get an idea of accuracy

at the same time.

Oh, and don't load too many cartridges until you make sure

they work, have the right velocity and are accurate - don't sit down

and churn out 100 of them, just yet. :cheers:

Well, this is the recipe that I'm starting with:

165gr Xtreme

2.6 grains Titegroup

1.155 OAL

Winchester SPP

.378" crimp

764 fps avg, 26 ES, Std dev 8- 126 PF

165gr Xtreme

2.8 grains Titegroup

1.155 OAL

Winchester SPP

.378" crimp

788 fps Average, ES 27, Std dev 10- 130 PF.

I found it in a thread in the 9mm reloading forum regarding these bullets. I figured it'd be a good starting point, though it may need tweaking for my particular firearm. If it doesn't plunk, I'm sure I'll be back here asking for advice!

I'm planning on running off batches of 15 at a time before running out to fire them. If the initial test goes well, I can run some more for further testing, but if it doesn't go well, I won't have too many rounds to work at with that bullet puller! :)

All great advice here.

Do u sit or stand to reload? Build the bench the perfect height. No mount needed.

Get a Dillion case gauge. You won't miss $16.

And use your own tool set, or buy what's missing.

Pay for one extra shell plate bolt when you

order.

No bullet tray needed. Find or make one.

I got to shoot my first reloads today from my new Square Deal!

2.625 grain (average of 40 tested) of Titegroup under the 165 Xtreme bullets. Crimp was at 3.75, and overall length averaged around 1.165. A shooting buddy recommended the 1.16 length, and it seemed to work well for my gun.

They shot a pretty ragged hole offhand at 5 yards, but then again, it's only 5 yards. More importantly, they functioned the slide and fed just fine on my M&P Pro! I only ran off 20 rounds to test, but now that I know that they work, I'll be making 100 or so tonight to check them out at 10 and 25 yards tomorrow.

After unboxing and mounting the press, I spent hours on the adjustments and meticulously measuring the powder and OAL while I was trying to dial in the machine. I got hung up on trying to get exactly 2.6 grains and exactly 1.16 OAL, but there seemed to be slight variations each time I'd test it. I gave up on being perfect and decided 2.625 and 1.165 was close enough!

Now that I've got it where I want it, it's time to crank out some rounds!

Edited by Dlister70

There will always be some variations in the further decimal places. Mine still chrono surprisingly close together despite the variations. 1,076/1,074/1,077 etc... I've also notice that the rounds I produce at a constant speed and with the same pull/press cycle of the lever, are the most consistent in performance. When you are doing load development, you pull/press at different rates and speeds. So, I'm not shocked when I get slight variations in the hundredths.

I would not want to wash my brass by hand so just reload it or get a tumbler and medium and some trays. Find a cheap case gauge. Load up about 50 rounds and then shoot them to see how they paper and feed. Calibers for max feeding length.

TiteGroup will throw +/- .1 grains, so don't expect to ever get 2.60 exactly. Also check OAL at full stations, and it will typically vary +/- .003" on progressives. Shorter OAL will go faster for the same charge weight. Once you find out what works, don't mess with it.