Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 1911 Max .40 reviews?

taco101

My lovely wife is shooting single stack this year, and I like to shoot it some as well. I have been looking at .40 options. Just ran across the Sig 1911 Max in .40 at the local gun shop. Seems like a nice gun and $1299.00 seems pretty good. That said what are your impressions of the gun and what are your opinions about this as compared to a Trojan .40?

I picked up a MAX .40 towards the end of last year and have been liking it. I had checked out a .45 ACP version and thought for me, the gun has a lot of value because it is set up close to the way I would do it.

My thoughts:

PROS - my opinion

Classic 2 tone look

Stainless frame better than blued steel frame

Nicely executed checkering on front strap

Dawson front sight

Koenig hammer/flat trigger

Ambi safeties

ICE mag well

Decent G10 grips

CONS - My opinion

Series 80 trigger - dropped in a spacer plate

External extractor - worried about it but it has been perfect

Had to get a new holster as it doesn't work in a regular BT 1911 holster

I had been using a borrowed Trojan prior to getting this and a Trojan was my other option. I figured to get the same basic thing as the MAX I would have to get a Dawson CRP package with hard chrome ($1,500) and change the trigger/safeties/grips and put some skate tape on the front strap to get it close to the MAX. As long as the configuration of the MAX is close to what you like I think it comes with a lot of value for the price.

I got the Max and ran close to 1K rounds through it getting used to it and in practice and then ran it last NOV at the WSSSC in Rio with zero problems. The gun ran great and is still running great so I am happy with it.

post-922-0-30176200-1461360826_thumb.jpg

Disclaimer first: I have Max in .45

It is tight, runs like a top, and far more accurate than I am. I did clip a half coil from the mag release. It was really stiff.

It is a perfect setup for me; I'm really glad I took the plunge. I talked to Max at the Alabama Sectional and asked if he'd change anything. He said, "Nope, it's a joy to shoot."

A local guy runs one in 45, and it looks to run good. Its a sig my bets would be it will run right or they will make it run right.

I have a Trojan myself very happy with it but I prefer the classic look over sigs slide and extractor

The single Sig Max 40 I looked over had a long heavy trigger pull that was gritty with lots of creep. I didn't care for the stubby tactical style thumb safeties or the white dot rear sight. The Trojan I have took only the swapping of the mainspring (17 lb.) to get a really nice trigger pull. The rear target sight is an all black fully serrated blade (which I prefer). Getting a holster that fit presented many options as well. Now some things just plain come down to personal choice. I don't feel hampered by a single-sided thumb safety shooting at my level. It's actually nice having the peace of mind of a stronger unit versus an ambidextrous type. The Trojan CRP from Dawson is also available in either a standard blued finish (less money) or in hard chrome. If you have concerns with service, ask around about Dawson.

I have been really disappointed at the quality of the last two Trojans that showed up at my club. I think they are relying of past reputation. I have a Sig Tacops in 45. 40,000+ round later it is still tight, accurate and still contains all the original parts. The Max just replaces most of the MIM internals with much better stuff. Play with is at your gun shop. If the slide is tight and everything looks right, buy it. BTW, mine took about 700 rounds before it was really broken in.

Got to pick up a couple of Sig's other 1911's, fit and finish seemed good. Really like the sharp checkering. Still looking to handle one or the MaxM models.

If the locals ones you looked at looked good to you, order a max you will be happy with it. I believe they build a solid gun.

Hello: I will throw a wrench into the wheel. Look at and shoot a 9mm 1911. I still think it is the best way to go for a single stack shooter at club level matches. I would also say it may be the best way to go for an area or state match as well. It is really nice to have those 2 extra rounds and the soft recoil. I like the 9mm over the 40 minor also. Thanks, Eric