Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-supported divisions at sanctioned USPSA matches.

Patrick Scott

My search-foo is failing me, but I was wondering what the deal is rules wise with running a non-supported "division" during a USPSA match? Example, I see lots of folks posting about how they have been shooting Pistol Caliber Carbine for a while now. I understand that scores and classifiers are not be counted/uploaded to USPSA, but where in the rules is it OK to just dream up a division and run it with the other divisions or is this just a case of "It's just a club match who cares?"? Or Maybe all these posts I see are about Outlaw matches. Thanks in advance.

Anything prior to 12 April 16 was outlaw with no approved rules. The BOD approved going ahead with the provisional division. You can see the statement in the April 16 BOD minutes on the USPSA website. Also, in keeping with tradition, the approved rules are not on the "Rules" page but rather listed in the BOD minutes menu....

This is all I could find.

6.2.1 USPSA Divisions recognize different handguns and equipment (see Appendix D). Each match must recognize at least one Division. When multiple Divisions are available in a match, each Division must be scored separately and independently, and match results must recognize a winner in each Division.

To me, this means if your Divisions aren't listed in Appendix D (or in a provisional subsection like D7 or D8), then you are not running a USPSA match, you're running an outlaw match.

Kinda missing the point. What allows/prevents clubs to run divisions that are not legitimate at USPSA matches?

Nothing at all, except as JAFO pointed out, it's not a USPSA match, is it? Same as calling a local action steel match the Steel Challenge, but it's not the Steel Challenge.... And if the host club calls it a USPSA match, and allows divisions outside of App. D, then they are knocking off the USPSA rules. So the host club should not do that, and specify that it is, in fact, not a USPSA match at all, but rather call it Uncle Sally's Pistol Silly Action (match). Or SPAM! Silly Pistol Action Match, for short

You mean this is not a sanctioned USPSA match!!!

BT_3_bogus.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Allowing a non-recognized division at a Level 1 USPSA Match, does not make the match an Outlaw Match. All other Divisions are legit. The Outlaw Division is no different than a 2nd run through on a cof. It's just not scored officially in the results, even though it may be included. WIth PCC many clubs were doing it to test the viability of the concept.

I'm sure there are some clubs that allow a rimfire division at a USPSA Match, it all boils down to what the local club feels will work.

It's also similar to how many of us did with 3 gun way back in the day.