Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun rifle question

cp3head

I do not know if this is the right place to post this, so please forgive me if it is not. I am looking for a new semi auto .223/5.56 platform for target shooting and potential 3 gun shoots. The Daniel Defense M4V11 Pro has caught my eye as well as offerings from JP Enterprise. I know that there are several other companies also with similar offerings. What is everyone using and what should I be looking for? Is there a noticeable down range performance between the $1800 and $2800 price range, or is the difference in fit and finish? Thanks in advance.

If by "what is everyone using" you mean to ask what are 3 gunners using, in my experience the vast majority are using home builds. And quite a few guys are like me that started with $1300-1700 gun that's somehow morphed into a $3000 rifle that only shares a receiver set with its original self.

If by "what is everyone using" you mean to ask what are 3 gunners using, in my experience the vast majority are using home builds. And quite a few guys are like me that started with $1300-1700 gun that's somehow morphed into a $3000 rifle that only shares a receiver set with its original self.

Thank you for your response. What has your gun morphed into? Ie what parts, and do any manufacturers offer those features in a build? I would rather spend the money upfront and be done with it; hence my question.

JP15. Enough rifle, so any failures to perform are on you. I've changed very little on the gun, over the past 3 or 4 years: magpul miad grip in exchange for the hogue that came on it and a raptor charging handle. No regrets what so ever.

Thank you for your response. What has your gun morphed into? Ie what parts, and do any manufacturers offer those features in a build? I would rather spend the money upfront and be done with it; hence my question.

I'll preface my response by saying few of the dollars I've blown where actually necessary to be competitive, just preferences I've developed while on a quest to be competitive.

But to look at your Daniel Defense rifle example, I would immediately feel the need to put in a JP bolt carrier, adjustable gas block, different trigger, different muzzle brake and eventually some other things. I just tacked on at least another $600 onto your already somewhat expensive but perfectly serviceable rifle. Its much cheaper to build if you know what you want, and you won't end up with a box of take off parts that'll somehow end up spawning another rifle.

As far as my rifle goes, the expensive parts are from JP, Seekins, CMC, Stretch Precision, Carbon Arms, SLR Rifleworks, Barnes Precision Machine, Taccom, plus a bunch of other small parts. So no, there aren't any manufacturers building anything I would be completely satisfied with.

The real question is do you have a vice so you can build the upper, and if the answer is no, the next question is how far is the closest harbor freight

I like that..

While a vise makes it easier, it's possible to build an entire AR from a box of parts without one.

You will however need a big c-clamp, a solid bench and the AR armorers blocks, a few miscellaneous punches and some way to access YouTube.

The real question is do you have a vice so you can build the upper, and if the answer is no, the next question is how far is the closest harbor freight

I like that..
While a vise makes it easier, it's possible to build an entire AR from a box of parts without one.

You will however need a big c-clamp, a solid bench and the AR armorers blocks, a few miscellaneous punches and some way to access YouTube.

I actually made a clamshell out of some scrap lumber, it bolts to my bench and easily handles 80 lb-ft when tightening barrel nuts.

I have run a stag 3G for about 4 years now. Had the barrel, forearm, and trigger I wanted. Put some glass and a comp on it right off the bat. Over time I switched stocks, added 45 irons (on the cheep), and played with different grips and charging handles. Not much to change now unless I upgrade glass.

My opinion is get something serviceable that works well and go from there. You can always upgrade/replace later. And either sell your replaced parts or put them in a box until you decide to build another gun.

Edited by CoreyC

I run a JP 20" upper that I bought about 8 years ago that has had the barrel changed to a new JP 20" in 2014 and a Carbon Arms 15" handguard installed. The lower started as a Rock River gun I bought 10 years ago and has had a MagPul PRS stock, M1AD grip, JP trigger, JP red buffer and spring installed. If you don't want to do your own build, you can save yourself a lot of work and just buy the JP 15. The JP 15 can be built to your spec and has all the go fast parts included. Plus JP is a big supporter of 3 gun.

Doug

I have run a stag 3G for about 4 years now. Had the barrel, forearm, and trigger I wanted. Put some glass and a comp on it right off the bat. Over time I switched stocks, added 45 irons (on the cheep), and played with different grips and charging handles. Not much to change now unless I upgrade glass.

My opinion is get something serviceable that works well and go from there. You can always upgrade/replace later. And either sell your replaced parts or put them in a box until you decide to build another gun.

I have pretty much the same thing. 3yr old Stag 3G. 1-6 scope, Benny-Cooley comp, offset iron sights, and a Luth-AR stock from a prize table.

I've got less than 1k in to mine (not including glass) I'm no gunsmith and I built it myself. I'd put it up against any higher dollar build performance wise and I still haven't had a single malfunction running $0.30 wolf gold ammo.