Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm mag too long in open. what is the penalty?

Sandbagger123

Because you are not legal to compete in any division you do not compete, however because it's not a safety violation you don't get forbidden from shooting.

They delete your name from the results :(

Edited by thermobollocks

I would think you would shoot for no score.

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, other-wise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

ok thanks guys. So if i am using 140's also , do they need to guage also in open?

They're subject to being checked, but if you're shooting open, we're using the 171.25 end of the gauge......

So, I'd think they would pass muster....

Yep, no score for any mag that doesn't fit the 171.25mm side of the EGW mag gauge.

Begging, borrowing. or buying an EGW mag gauge can save you any worries. It's possible to measure with a 8" digital caliper or surface table w/height gauge....but they use the EGW mag gauge at matches as a go/no-go gauge.

Or you could just leave the mag in the car and just use the 140's...unless they measured at chrono and you already shot half the match, in which case you are coulda, shoulda, woulda.

So whats the penalty for not making the guage in open with a long stick? i know in limited it would be a bump to open. So would it be a D/Q?

i checked the rule book, and unless i missed it i did not find anything

There is no place to go, so you shoot for no score.

You don't get DQ'd for equipment rule violations.

I wouldn't take a 170 to chrono, walk up with an empty 140.

Edited by bret

• 2 weeks later...

Every mag you are using at the match is subject to the gauge. If you hand them a 140 at chrono in open, they should suspect something is up. Make sure you are legal before hand, and save yourself the hassle.