Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will This Make Major?

BigDave

2100 gr @ 2740 fps = 5,754,000 PF  :o

2,100 grain?... that's pretty small....

I was working over there once, and someone doing maintance on a Phalanx (sp?) system... forgot to unload and show clear.

For a couple days they were asking around Pearl City for damage reports...

I think the guy went on to work for the DEA in Florida :)

That's a twin mount Bofors 40mm cannon?? If so, projectile weight is more like 1.985 pounds (13895 grains). If the muzzle velocity is correct at 2750 or so, that gives us 38,211.25PF!!!!!! Naw, that's not major ;)http://www.cv6.org/ship/armament.htm

The modern M61A1 20mm gatling gun makes 5,621PF - 20mm projectile weighing .22 pounds at 3650fps. http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_Phalanx.htm

For a couple days they were asking around Pearl City for damage reports...

I heard a thing on the news a while back, that the crew responsible for firing the howitzer that knocks down the cornices in avalanche chutes at Park City.... missed.

Apparently they lobbed one over the hill in question, and it landed in someone's back yard.... a couple of miles away.

Oops!

Bruce

TMC - no, just the Arizona (very moving), we didn't have time for the Bowfin or Mighty Mo'. My buddy who works at Pearl Harbor and who has lived there for 10+ years hasn't even been on the Missouri. He says he won't either until his or someone else's commission ceremony.

Xre - My PF calcs were based on a 20mm gun, woops. You're right, I think that is a 40mm. Nevertheless, I think major would be no problemo. ;)

3QT - yeah, man, sorry!!!

TMC - no, just the Arizona (very moving), we didn't have time for the Bowfin or Mighty Mo'.  My buddy who works at Pearl Harbor and who has lived there for 10+ years hasn't even been on the Missouri.  He says he won't either until his or someone else's commission ceremony.

Xre - My PF calcs were based on a 20mm gun, woops.  You're right, I think that is a 40mm.  Nevertheless, I think major would be no problemo. ;)

3QT - yeah, man, sorry!!!

Big Dave,

I'm sorry to hear your friend won't visit the Mo or Bowfin. Wakal and I have visited the Bowfin on a couple of occasions. It's a beautiful vessel and the volunteers have so many stories to tell. We worked on the Mo as tour guides. It was very cool to crawl all over the ship from keel to top. We've been inside her number one turret. It was cool. Again, a lot of the volunteers and visitors were retired military. The stories were amazing.

You are correct about the Bofors. It is a 40mm. It used basically four-round stripper clips. Reload every eight shots. Is it limited 10 or production? May have to be Limited, I don't like to think of the Bofors as a minor gun. :)

Liota