Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello just getting started back into shooting. i was active shooter in the 90-2002 range shot in several area matches and limited nationals as a B class shooter. back then the shooting stance that was taught was the modified Weaver. the shooting stance now is the isosceles triangle. i am to old and fat with bad knees to be competitive. but still enjoy competing. the question is should i just stick to what i know or relearn a new shooting stance?

A superior technique exists than the one you're accustomed to.

Why on earth would you not learn and employ the superior technique?

you talking about the fat part? or the stance part?

either way, I agree with you. If you know there is a better way, you should probably do it.

Edited by motosapiens

A superior technique exists than the one you're accustomed to.

Why on earth would you not learn and employ the superior technique?

you talking about the fat part? or the stance part?

either way, I agree with you. If you know there is a better way, you should probably do it.

both. life's too short to be fat and suck at shooting.

There are no rigid "stand this way" stances when we are doing what we do. There are some things that help with regard to where to make sure you have your weight so you don't get thrown off by recoil or other forces. Change your Weaver stance to something that you can: 1. comfortably move withing your cone of fire. 2. Quickly get in and out of without a crap-ton of setup time. 3. Shoot while making that stance lower and higher.

When you are all done with that you'll have the "your name here"-Stance and it will be kick ass.

I suspect it will be somewhere between the Weaver and Isosceles. (due to the above mentioned weight distribution and cone of fire it will closer to Isosceles, but not quite.)

Good luck!

my 2¢...if you haven't shot in 14 years the stance and methods you used back then are going to be somewhat unfamiliar anyway. After that long of a layoff it's going to be like starting all over again so you may as well start with the currently acceptable methods.

Do you want to get better, or just go out to club matches and have fun doing whatever you are doing? And yeah, you are 14 years out of practice, so you are going to have to work at whatever style to get back at it, shooting is a perishable skill.