Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mutant Texas Star?

njl

I was looking at results from a google images search for: Texas star steel target, and came across this:

3953433_01_i_need_a_place_to_shoot_steel

Anyone ever seen something like this or have video of it in motion?

I believe that is called a whirligig correction - whirling dervish, it's a cowboy action target. There are several here. http://www.bigforkbuscaderos.com/

I would like to shoot one, make one. . . . . hmmm next year's MO3GC match ? ? ?

:ph34r:

:roflol:

I think we've upped the difficulty enough for a while

Edited by toothandnail

this one looks kind of cool - death star http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231159

I'm with nimitz though. they are really more of a carnival/fun target. fun to shot but I don't miss them in matches. They are one of the (many) things that probably don't like up with the P in USPSA/IPSC.

There are some inventive ones out there though. Polish plate racks are cool too.

this one looks kind of cool - death star http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231159

I'm with nimitz though. they are really more of a carnival/fun target. fun to shot but I don't miss them in matches. They are one of the (many) things that probably don't like up with the P in USPSA/IPSC.

There are some inventive ones out there though. Polish plate racks are cool too.

Death star with a pistol is a BLAST !

This one makes my head hurt:

https://vimeo.com/126194479

Watching the guy shoot it makes my head hurt even worse.

Watching people shoot badly / struggle through a stage can be torture. For some reason, steel just makes it worse.

I believe that is called a whirligig correction - whirling dervish, it's a cowboy action target. There are several here. http://www.bigforkbuscaderos.com/

OMG...that looks like it'd either be a whole lot of fun or a huge PITA to shoot...but doing it often would definitely make you a better shooter.

Looks big and expensive.

Devices like these aren't "practical" for competition, but are static targets that never move from where they are known in advance to be located really practical in the original sense of the word as used in USPSA? I'd guess (hope to never have to experience first hand) that in real life any target is likely to have erratic, unpredictable movement.

Sure looks fun though.

The stages and props at the MO3gun were awesome! Though I think a bonus point stage with this in it only would be a great incentive if you give the option to apply a few seconds off the worst of the stage with the single guns (pistol only, rifle only or shotgun only). Might add a little fun...or just throw out an award for fastest run...regardless, bring on the difficult props!

I guess I don't get the "They don't present the same for every shooter" complaint ?

They react the same, it's how the shooter engages it, is what causes different patterns of rotation.

Not much different than shooting a large popper high to get it to fall faster, vs a low hit that barely takes it down.

Guess I like action shooting challenges, 10 stages of stationary paper gets old pretty quick for me.

I guess I don't get the "They don't present the same for every shooter" complaint ?

They react the same, it's how the shooter engages it, is what causes different patterns of rotation.

Not much different than shooting a large popper high to get it to fall faster, vs a low hit that barely takes it down.

Guess I like action shooting challenges, 10 stages of stationary paper gets old pretty quick for me.

As long as the star is reset the same way for every shooters, that's good enough. Mark 1 arm and that one always points up or down or wherever you want. Then let the shooters shoot the plates in whatever order they desire. Its the same target presentation when they get there. Anything else is on them.

As long as the star is reset the same way for every shooters, that's good enough. Mark 1 arm and that one always points up or down or wherever you want. Then let the shooters shoot the plates in whatever order they desire. Its the same target presentation when they get there. Anything else is on them.

We designed our star exactly that way. There is only one way to reset the star. Same plate hangs in the exact same spot for every shooter. No need to mark it if you cant set it incorrectly.

Now imagine shooting that with two single action revolvers. Most of the folks who shoot cowboy action are 60+ years old and rarely aim their pistols. That's got to be painful.