Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My own 2nd Match Screw Ups!

Kletus

Shot my 2nd local match this past Saturday. I knew that match sign-up was available online, but didn't think anything of it since I knew I would be there plenty early. Myself and a friend who was shooting his first match got there 1 hr before the match to sign up and nope.... match was FULL!

Luckily a few people didn't show up, and we did eventually get in... about 15 minutes before the match started. That totally messed up my match prep and mental edge. We were able to walk through a couple of stages, but shot 4 of 7 with only the 5 minute preview.

Started on a stage that had no reloads and shot decent.

Next stage... (3 six shot arrays shooting production) I shot from my initial position and didn't reload on the move. Realized my mistake while I was shooting the next array, so I was at least prepared when I shot it dry and had to reload from slide-lock. The only benefit is that the next array was only 6 shots, so I didn't have to reload on the way to the next array. Not sure exactly how I came out on the stage because results haven't posted, but definitely NOT how I wanted to start.

Stage 4 was a memory stage and I still wasn't fully in it. I knew that in the 3rd position my count was off, but this was one of the stages I didn't get to memorize, and I couldn't find the last target. Ended up not finding one target there and a small piece of steel on the next position.

Stage 5 was actually really good to me. Shot the stage fluidly and at speed with no deltas (awesome for me!). Felt good to have a couple of the GM's on the squad come over and congratulate me on the stage.

Stage 7 went really well until we were walking and scoring and I saw that little small piece of steel sitting pretty on the stand. Fully knowing the rules might have helped me. One of the other pieces of steel I hit, but it turned sideways on me and stayed on the stand. I still had enough to shoot, so I shot it again and kept going. The RO later told me that if I had left it he would have had me reshoot as a stage equipment malfunction, but since I shot it again it just stayed as is. In the end it didn't matter to me because I'm not in the hunt for anything, but it would have been nice to know.

All in all, I still had a ton of fun, but I learned alot! I learned to SIGN UP ahead of time! I learned how to draw with my hand low on the grip when I immediately have to transition to weak hand. Learned a little about the rules. And as I have often learned in any sort of competition... I learned even more humility and the importance of being able to laugh at yourself and enjoy watching and learning from those that are better than you.

Can't wait for match 3!

I agree with the five minute walk through. But, it's also nice to be down in the shooting order and get the chance to watch skilled shooters run it before you do.

I've had a few 'palm slap to the forehead' moments when my five minute walk through didn't reveal what another shooter did three or four spots below me in the order.... the term "You dumby" (as applied to me) came immediately to mind. :goof:

File under "Lessons Learned".

I shoot OPEN, but my understanding is that iff you are shooting Production,

you ALWAYS reload when you move ??? :sight:

I learn a lot by watching the other shooters before me - come up with some

great ideas on how to shoot the course, and where the targets are.

And taping/setting steel is a great way to see where everything is located.

And, you are entirely correct - humility is Very Important. I've been

lucky enough to get squadded with GM's and they are the most humble

shooters I've ever met.

Good luck on Shoot #3. :cheers:

I shoot OPEN, but my understanding is that iff you are shooting Production,

you ALWAYS reload when you move ??? :sight:

I learn a lot by watching the other shooters before me - come up with some

great ideas on how to shoot the course, and where the targets are.

And taping/setting steel is a great way to see where everything is located.

And, you are entirely correct - humility is Very Important. I've been

lucky enough to get squadded with GM's and they are the most humble

shooters I've ever met.

Good luck on Shoot #3. :cheers:

Not every time you move, but damn close. Many times I have shot 2, dropped a mag of 8, and went the next array...and sometimes it works out that you don't drop...depends on the stage.

I guess "always" is too inclusive. :cheers:

Not far from it from what I have seen so far! That's what made my screw up so stupid... I knew that it was shoot, reload/move, shoot, reload/move, shoot..... but I magically found myself at the second location and hadn't reloaded. It worked out that it didn't totally kill me because it eliminated a reload... but that was only luck.

Finally saw my scores for the weekend and ended up last in production... but actually beat several Open and Limited shooters... Go Figure...

Overall I can say I improved a good bit from match 1 to match 2, it just didn't show up in final position because of mental errors on a couple of stages that resulted in procedurals for targets that I didn't even engage...

Lesson learned, and I'll be more prepared next time so that I can arrive and focus on the task at hand instead of having several other things in the back of my mind. Funny enough... coming in near the bottom makes it even more fun, because it gives me even more focus on improving.

I guess "always" is too inclusive. :cheers:

Overall I can say I improved a good bit from match 1 to match 2, it just didn't show up in final position because of mental errors on a couple of stages that resulted in procedurals for targets that I didn't even engage...

Lesson learned, and I'll be more prepared next time so that I can arrive and focus on the task at hand instead of having several other things in the back of my mind. Funny enough... coming in near the bottom makes it even more fun, because it gives me even more focus on improving.

I'm in the same boat...its frustrating to miss hidden targets. I shoot linearly...which means I'll take them from one point to another shooting as I go. I can't remember to do like the A shooter where they can pick up hidden targets after shooting a plate rack and a popper array working forward then backward...

Its definitely not the fastest way to shoot a stage but FTE hurts total stage points so much I have to do/shoot what works for me.

Shoot at your level. Watch the great shooters and learn but missing targets isnt an option.

The speed and memory will come naturally...so they tell me :D

Set a goal...in all reality its you vs the course...not the other shooters.

My goal last year was to place at or above 50% and shoot 'C' classifiers.

You did good. Finding hidden targets has always been a slight problem for me. I like going first when possible so I learned to make the best of the walk threw. After I shoot first I normally take over the timer for all the shooters in my squad.

If you are pasting and putting up steel that's an easy way to get a number of walk threws under your belt.