Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me Out of a mark 7 (or into one)

I don't see how the plate can chip in that area unless the brass is being ripped out of the plate. Not sure how that would happen. Still looks like the plate is incorrectly made. Have you seen when it chips?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how the plate can chip in that area unless the brass is being ripped out of the plate. Not sure how that would happen. Still looks like the plate is incorrectly made. Have you seen when it chips?

I have seen the brass fall over or fly out when the press indeed and changes stations, if I see it happening I stop and that is when the brass is off center like in the pictures I posted. I can just grab them or slightly wiggle them right off the shell plate.

The bottom of the plate shows no damage, other than normal rotation wear.

1F50B2A0-023D-44B1-96DF-63CE3A2C2204_zps

Well, I talked to dillon today about the shell plate issues and only got worse service.

They would sell me a plate or I can send mine in and they would evaluate it. They stated the Mark 7 has voided the warranty is the cause of the failure and they are not willing to do anything for me, and will not honor the 30 return it for any reason guarantee.

They stated they see about 5 failures a day from auto drives because of the swager hitting the shell plate, and if they see hits on the bottom of the plate they know an auto drive was used. I had called them prior to ordering and was told they recommended the Mark 7 if you were going to use an autodrive as it prevents equipment failure. Today I received a different response at first but then later the guy agreed that the Mark 7 is the best one to use.

So I was calling in to get a shell plate replacement but also add another $500-$800 in an order since I want another caliber conversion and tool head setup along with a third trimmer motor. After over 1/2 arguing and asking for help to resolve the problem I was told to send more pictures in, but they know it was the drive that caused it. I unhappily placed my order anyway, but did not add the my 3rd trimmer motor.

I'm pretty sure the drive did not cause the issue, because looking at the plate where it is chipped does not line up with the swager.

Just a suggestion for the future.... Sometimes giving to much information is not a good thing... Dillon does not need to know that you have a Autodrive... What good does it do to let them know your running a Autodrive on a machine that they say does not need one?

Matt

I have seen the brass fall over or fly out when the press indeed and changes stations, if I see it happening I stop and that is when the brass is off center like in the pictures I posted. I can just grab them or slightly wiggle them right off the shell plate.

The bottom of the plate shows no damage, other than normal rotation wear.

1F50B2A0-023D-44B1-96DF-63CE3A2C2204_zps

FB, lays out an interesting scenario worth investigating...

I'm new myself to the 1050 platform, but still wondering if it is a timing issue.

One thing is for sure; if you look at the wear pattern at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, the plate isn't perfectly flat.

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is the reply I got from Mark 7 regarding the digital clutch and brass crushing...

"Thanks for sending the video; first I would remove the dillon ratchet mechanism so you can jog the press up and down. Since you have the case upright the crushing you are seeing on the case is within normal operation with the current firmware. If you turn the case sideways and crush the bottom of the case the press head should stop in that situation. If it doesn't please let me know. We're going to be releasing an updated firmware shortly that has a lower baseline torque setting for the pro. This will make the clutch much more sensitive."

Looks like they are working on a firmware update for the Pro to address the clutch

Matt

Well, I talked to dillon today about the shell plate issues and only got worse service.

They would sell me a plate or I can send mine in and they would evaluate it. They stated the Mark 7 has voided the warranty is the cause of the failure and they are not willing to do anything for me, and will not honor the 30 return it for any reason guarantee.

They stated they see about 5 failures a day from auto drives because of the swager hitting the shell plate, and if they see hits on the bottom of the plate they know an auto drive was used. I had called them prior to ordering and was told they recommended the Mark 7 if you were going to use an autodrive as it prevents equipment failure. Today I received a different response at first but then later the guy agreed that the Mark 7 is the best one to use.

So I was calling in to get a shell plate replacement but also add another $500-$800 in an order since I want another caliber conversion and tool head setup along with a third trimmer motor. After over 1/2 arguing and asking for help to resolve the problem I was told to send more pictures in, but they know it was the drive that caused it. I unhappily placed my order anyway, but did not add the my 3rd trimmer motor.

I'm pretty sure the drive did not cause the issue, because looking at the plate where it is chipped does not line up with the swager.

Just a suggestion for the future.... Sometimes giving to much information is not a good thing... Dillon does not need to know that you have a Autodrive... What good does it do to let them know your running a Autodrive on a machine that they say does not need one?

Matt

I agree, but they asked and I didn't want to lie. It's not who I am. If the problem truly is with the drive then I'll talk with Mark 7, if it's with Dillon I would like a solution, if it's me then I would like to know what to do.

I called them for help not free parts, but believe something was wrong here from them. I don't care for the blame the other manufacture without even looking into it fully hearing what the problem was.

So far the have told me I don't have the pins in (guy told me he didn't believe me when I told him they are in), my brass is bad, shell plate is too loose, I have the wrong shell plate or pins, the swager is pushing up on the shell plate, and now it's the auto drive.

I can use it how it is, but I know it's not right. I expected to have better service and I know that these things require some fine tuning, this isn't my first press. But I expected better support from them and not just passing the buck.

Bootome looks good. Have you tried to speak with a manager? They typically will send you a new one and then you send yours back.

I have, just wanted to say it's an auto drive problem. I sent him pictures earlier directly to him, hopefully he will respond.

Matt

I agree, but they asked and I didn't want to lie. It's not who I am. If the problem truly is with the drive then I'll talk with Mark 7, if it's with Dillon I would like a solution, if it's me then I would like to know what to do.

I called them for help not free parts, but believe something was wrong here from them. I don't care for the blame the other manufacture without even looking into it fully hearing what the problem was.

So far the have told me I don't have the pins in (guy told me he didn't believe me when I told him they are in), my brass is bad, shell plate is too loose, I have the wrong shell plate or pins, the swager is pushing up on the shell plate, and now it's the auto drive.

I can use it how it is, but I know it's not right. I expected to have better service and I know that these things require some fine tuning, this isn't my first press. But I expected better support from them and not just passing the buck.

If you can wiggle cases out by hand, you really cant use it as is.

Is the swage backup rod set correctly?

At this point I would say that the press isnt set up correctly (as it came from dillon) and everything needs to be checked or reset up if you havent already done that.

Looks like you're probably out a shellplate, even if it was Dillons fault.

primer sensor is awesome

I will say i cannot imagine using the 1050/M7 without the low primer sensor, BUT... i could only get it to stop the M7 after i add additional weight (a 45 piece of brass on the top of the follower AND a 230gr lead bullet super-glued to the top of the brass ) to the top of the follower rod.

primer sensor is awesome

I will say i cannot imagine using the 1050/M7 without the low primer sensor, BUT... i could only get it to stop the M7 after i add additional weight (a 45 piece of brass on the top of the follower AND a 230gr lead bullet super-glued to the top of the brass ) to the top of the follower rod.

Ha I did exactly the same!

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fault with the plastic rods. Mine doesn't trip even the regular dillon alarm without weight.

A tip to make it neater.

Take a 38 special bullet like say a 158gn swc. Lead or coated. Sit it on an anvil and whack it with a hammer till it fits snugly inside the 45 case. Then stick the case over the end of the plastic rod. :)

Btw I think the other guys were talking about the optical sensor that detects a spent primer ejecting down the tube after decapping.

Never heard back from dillon after sending in the pictures so I called them. Interesting conversion with the manager at dillon. He says he looked at the picture and it is a textbook auto drive damaging the bottom of the plate. I told him that I was not seeing that and could not feel it any depressions, I then got him to look at the pictures with me at the same time, and he says yeah the bottom looks normal. But it's still the autodrive that is the problem.

So, no help from them resolving the problem. I checked the timing and it looks good, I ordered a new shell plate and will watch that one closely and compare the two.

I asked that he forwarded my pictures to the engineers and have them email me if they have any ideas what could cause damage on the top, as he had no idea other than just flat out the auto drive.

I have also reached out to Mark 7 to see if they have seen this issue.

You can't blame Dillon for refusing to support such a configuration. There are enough things for them to understand, to guarantee and to provide with their own machines, it is not fair to expect them to become experts on every aftermarket accessory out there. I think the issue lands squarely in the Mark 7 guy's laps.

You can't blame Dillon for refusing to support such a configuration. There are enough things for them to understand, to guarantee and to provide with their own machines, it is not fair to expect them to become experts on every aftermarket accessory out there. I think the issue lands squarely in the Mark 7 guy's laps.

I agree and disagree. I don't need help with the mark 7 from them, I need help with their product but they will not even think about what else could cause the issue. Dillon support should be willing to make sure it's not something on their end, but they are not.

You seem to have an issue with Mark 7, as you post very negatively about them. Thanks for your comments.

I heard back from Anthony right away, and he is willing to help resolve the problem with the Dillon press no matter where the issue is. To me that is great excellent service.

If it was me I would just buy a new shell plate and give it a try... Hell, it's what? $30? A small bit compared to the price of the 1050 and MK7..... Just sayin.

Matt

I did, $70 + shipping I believe.

I heard back from Anthony right away, and he is willing to help resolve the problem with the Dillon press no matter where the issue is. To me that is great excellent service.

Good for them! We did the same when we were a young company.

Today we sometimes have to assume the Dillon's position. :) And not because we are arrogant bastards - people connect all sorts of stuff to our products, and we can't possibly know every interaction, so as much as we would love to resolve the issues, sometimes it is just not possible.

Edited by Foxbat

If it was me I would just buy a new shell plate and give it a try... Hell, it's what? $30? A small bit compared to the price of the 1050 and MK7..... Just sayin.

Matt

Also the problem doesn't exist with any other caliber conversion, just 223 with this shell plate.

Today we sometimes have to assume the Dillon's position. :) And not because we are arrogant bastards - people connect all sorts of stuff to our products, and we can't possibly know every interaction, so as much as we would love to resolve the issues, sometimes it is just not possible.

What company are you, so I know not to use you? Especially since we live in the same area.

What company are you, so I know not to use you? Especially since we live in the same area.

And you would be wrong! We are the sweetest, the kindest people... at least that is what our customers are telling us. :)

And you would be wrong! We are the sweetest, the kindest people... at least that is what our customers are telling us. :)

Wrong about what? I didn't make any judgements on your company other than since I live in your area I would like to make sure I do not support your business based off your comments and post.