Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making a 5" barrel to Commander lenght

bdavis385

I would say it's pretty easy to do for someone with gs experience. But if you're asking the question, you're probably better off having someone do it for you. To shorten the barrel, you just cut to length then square and recrown. You can do that on a lathe or with a hacksaw/bandsaw and piloted cutters. Commander bushing is shorter than a standard bushing. But you can cut the back to proper length or just replace the bushing. If you replace it, you may have to fit the internal diameter to match the barrel o.d. and clearance for link down.

Most barrels (aftermarket at least) have a larger o.d. going back far enough from the muzzle that if you cut it down, it's going to be the same size. If that's not the case, you can get a new bushing and fit to the smaller o.d.

bd..., it is not difficult per se, but you may have difficulty finding a Commander bushing with a small enough ID to work. It all depends on which barrel you bought. If it is a National Match type barrel, or anything pretending to be, the barrel OD will be quite a bit smaller after you cut it back.

Really, the easiest thing to do is send the barrel back, or ask to exchange it for what you want (assuming you can find what you want). Even if you have to pay a restocking charge, it will still be a lot cheaper than having a GS do the work.

Most aftermarket barrels are around .578 to .581 o.d. at the muzzle end then drop down to .575 to .576 around and inch and a half or two inches back. There is plenty of material to cut it to 4.25 without any problems. Even if you were to cut it back further, the barrel will work fine without the step down if the busing is fit properly. As for bushings, cutting it to commander length is pretty straightforward and simple task. If you need an undersize/unfit bushing they are avail. from a number of vendors.

OK my mistake. The cut back area is not to clear the bushing, but relief for the guide rod head.

If you are not using a Commander frame, it's probably not an issue.

Edited by wide45

• 3 weeks later...

I thread the barrel, cut it and install a cone sleeve. No bushing and better lock up than a bull barrel. I purchase the sleeves from Chambers Custom or from Deep River Custom. I think Joe Chambers has them listed on his website store. Deep River you have ask them. I can't make the sleeve for what either of these custom shops sell them for. I have also gone the bushing route, just throwing out an alternative.

For a true Colt Commander, the link lug is shorter front to back because the frame bridge is shorter.

The barrel taper and step ahead of the locking lugs is shorter to clear the bushing.

Shortened Government Models, other brands, and cone conversions go about it differently from Colt.

I thread the barrel, cut it and install a cone sleeve. No bushing and better lock up than a bull barrel. I purchase the sleeves from Chambers Custom or from Deep River Custom. I think Joe Chambers has them listed on his website store. Deep River you have ask them. I can't make the sleeve for what either of these custom shops sell them for. I have also gone the bushing route, just throwing out an alternative.

What makes a cone allow a better lock up than a bull barrel?

Not hard at all if using a bull barrel. Search Hacksaw STI 2011 on here. Cut the slide and barrel down to commander length. Still shot better than 1.5" at 25y afterwards. I don't like cones because the muzzle droops down when the slide is to the rear, makes for a "clangy" slide cycle. If that's the only choice, it will work, it's just noisy and you may see more wear on the top of the hood.