Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI edge - burst fire

dansedgli

My edge has started to send 2 down range with 1 pull of the trigger.

I thought it was dirty so cleaned it up well, 250 rounds later it did it again.

My half cock notch seems to function when the gun is unloaded, isn't it supposed to stop this kind of thing happening?

With the grip safety removed the disconnector seems to be working as it should so I'm thinking I'm up for a clean up of the sear and hammer faces.

I recently replaced the STI trigger with an SVI trigger but I used the same trigger bow. I've got plenty of pretravel. Could too much or not enough overtravel cause this? I don't think I have too much but it is something I've read.

It's quite the experience with 357 sig at 180pf.

Edited by dansedgli

It's not difficult but some people reckon they don't have to do it at all which is interesting.

The SVI trigger bow is crimped into the SVI trigger. I cut out the top crimp portion and pulled it out by force. I dremeled the STI trigger off the STI bow then cut down the bit that goes into the SVI trigger a bit so it sat at the right height. I used a loctite 2 part epoxy to stick the bits together. It still feels solid after 600 or so rounds but I'd still prefer not to have it like that.

SVI trigger shoe is wider so grip has to be opened up or trigger shoe reduced.

I've ordered some SVI ignition parts so I'm going to fit all new SVI stuff and see if the the stock SVI trigger bow is still too long.

How much pressure do you have on the sear spring? Too light and you get doubles. It's common with guys who've just done a trigger job and got carried away trying to lighten the pull by bending the sear spring. Withought that pressure on the sear it stays up briefly and the hammer follows the slide for that super fast second shot... :)

just register it as a post dealer sample! then point it at the target in the A zone, one trigger pull, 2 Alpha!

I had a similar issue show up in dry fire when I put a 2011 back together (luckily caught before live fire) when I was much newer at shooting. I had put the sear spring in wrong, so the hammer wasn't catching the half cock notch. re-installed and was good to go.

My half cock notch seems to function when the gun is unloaded, isn't it supposed to stop this kind of thing happening?

It should assuming the sear nose has come into the hammer hooks far enough to catch it with enough sear spring force to keep it from being knocked out of the way. Definitely want to make sure sear spring is installed correctly and has adequate tension.

If memory serves me I thought the first thing to suspect on 1911/2011 multiple fire events was a problem with the disconnector (?)

Edited by bountyhunter

I agree that it is the sear spring. I just purchased a 2011 that the sear spring was all bent up to get a light trigger and was getting doubles or more. replaced the sear spring and no more issues.

I put a new spring in it while i was at the range on the weekend after it started doubling . I only had 40 rounds left to test it with though and it didn't do it. Ill give it another few hundred before i trust it.

I just figured the half cock would prevent this happening.

I'm too limp wristed to keep both shots on target at 10 yards.

The very first thing I would look at is the hammer hooks. I think you will find they are worn and no longer square. The sear nose is probably in good shape. Sears are usually quite hard. STI hammers; not so much. If it is the hammer, you can easily recut the hooks and square everything up. However, you'll also have to recut the primary on the sear. If you have access to a True radius jig you can be done in five minutes pretty much regardless of where the new hammer hooks are. Personally, I'd just replace the hammer with a new, hard one (not STI).

Sear spring to light

Hammer hooks rounded

Sear nose angle wrong

Something about your whiz bang S_I trigger contraption not being true and binding in rear position

Not necessarily in that order.

I put a new spring in it while i was at the range on the weekend after it started doubling . I only had 40 rounds left to test it with though and it didn't do it. Ill give it another few hundred before i trust it.

I just figured the half cock would prevent this happening.

I'm too limp wristed to keep both shots on target at 10 yards.

half cock notch wont stop it. think about what's happening. the half cock notch to function has to hit the sear blade. if the sear blade is still lifted high enough it won't catch (the sear must have enough lift to clear the half cock notch when trigger is pulled otherwise hammer would always just catch the half cock notch when you pull the trigger).

I would say new sear spring cured it.

you are not limp wristed dan. just run a few bill drills to man you up to the sig power!

If it was my 9mm it would be more welcome. :P

357 sig Major power factor is new to me still.

But it IS addictive.... the blast, the smell of H110, the RO's uttering blue verbose with each stroke of the bang switch....

• 1 month later...

Had the same issue when I changed out my internals to Extreme Engineering matched hammer, sear and disconnector. My grip safety did not engage the sear spring properly and caused a nice little full auto charge which emptied my 140mm magazine that had about 10 rounds left in it. All 10 alphas on 1 target though..shocked the hell outta me!