Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR front sight post diameter

Dr Mitch

I have got some iron sights again for my AR-15, and would like to cut down the width of the front post. I have used thr KNS set in the past, but I felt that the various pieces were mostly useless. I'd like a normal sort of shape but smaller in width.

At 100 yards my post covers a lot of the width of a 14" square target, and I'd like more precision, since I oftrn shoot at 200-300 yards. Compass Lake has a lot of offerings, but I am not sure which to choose, or if I should buy several. Looking for insight. My front sight is mounted about 2" forward of the gas block, on my handguard.

Try a DPMS DCM A1-style National Match front sight post. It is slimmer, and round with 5 detent positions (instead of the normal 4 of an A2 post) so has finer adjustment. Photo below.

Another, more general suggestion: zero the rifle using one CORNER of the front sight post instead of the middle... this gives you a more precise aiming point regardless of post dimensions. Just remember which corner you used :roflol:

l_231000332_1.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Geez! Where to start? Get that sight off your handguard, if you'r mom didn't tell you better I will. Next take that big old honkin front sight out, Chuck it up in a drill and take a file and make it what ever diameter you want. I usually run them around .040.....after all "Doc" its not like you don't see one of the best iron sight shooters in the nation like 2-3 times a month. Its ok to just ask ;)

Edited by kurtm

Oh thanks Kurt, but I really only see him 1-2 times a month. I appreciate the accolades though. :) LOL

Mitch, a 12-pack of Negra is about the going rate to get one filed down to the best width. Use that JP A2 clamp on right behind the comp and get that pin down to .040'ish. It's money for long range, which you will need here in a couple weeks. :)

Kurt has the easiest method...turning the front post down.

I have the good fortune to have a lathe at home and I cut the post off, flatten the face and drill for the Music wire diameter of my choice. 0.035"

I only do it that way as music wire is more forgiving of being bent without breaking and if bent can be returned to near zero with little effort.