Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 powder

Kungfurabbit

So it costs the same, you use less, and still has all the benefits. Great. I still have a bunch of wst, so I don't plan on switching over, but I will see if it is available when I start getting a little lower on other powders.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using e3 in 9mm for a while now and love it. I just started shooting .40 major and loaded up some lucky 13 coated bullets with 3.8gr E3 and 4gr E3 at 1.180 oal. 3.8gr got me a 159pf and 4gr got me a 169pf. It was a little smoky though. I bumped it up to 4.1gr last night. I'll chrono then after my match today. I will say that I have never seen so many "dup" readings from my chronograph.

I've had good luck with power pistol.

I load 180gr plated rmr rnfp at 1.2 with 6.5gr of PP.

172PF 30shot avg from my RIA 40 ultra match.

Fills the cases nicely and meters accurately from my hornady LNL ap powder throw.

I don't notice any flash like people say.

v3f8n5.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like titegroup. Just be careful as it seems to be very sensitive to bullet seating depth. I had some trouble with this in 9mm. The heads I was using had to be seated rather short. I was getting pressure signs on the primers and I wasn't even making minor pf.

Been using solo 1000. Down to my last 1/2 jug. 4.8gr behind 180gr plated with a win sp primer. It gives me 172pf. When that's gone I've got 2 pounds of 231 to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Titegroup is not my favorite powder, but works well enough in .40 major/9mm minor. My old .40 load was 4.5 grains with a 180 gr FMJ for pf of 170+. Not a bad feeling load at all. The gun runs hot, and TG is a little dirty but price and availability is a positive. Just bought an 8lb jug as a backup powder. TG and the old BBI moly bullets used to make more smoke than a black powder rifle haha.

+1 for Haltz and springs. Somewhere I found the burn rates for powders, and it helps to compare different powders. I prefer a slower burning powder than titegroup, like HP38.

Hp38 is my go to in 40. My major load is 4.3gn behind a summers enterprises 180gn lead bullet @ 1.135".

What does this chrono for you? I only ask because it is below the starting load on the Hodgdon site for 180gr Berry FP's, which should be faster than a lead bullet.

+1 for Haltz and springs. Somewhere I found the burn rates for powders, and it helps to compare different powders. I prefer a slower burning powder than titegroup, like HP38.

Hp38 is my go to in 40. My major load is 4.3gn behind a summers enterprises 180gn lead bullet @ 1.135".

What does this chrono for you? I only ask because it is below the starting load on the Hodgdon site for 180gr Berry FP's, which should be faster than a lead bullet.

930to 945 fps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Also lead is typically faster than plated or jacketed at the same load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sorry. I thought plated was faster than lead.

Thanks for the info. Just really trying to find a starting point for some coated 180's from a 5.4" ... Id have started hotter than you finished up. Mine will be loaded long though, so that might slow it down some.

Edited by tha1000