Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blast Shields And Field Of View

OPENB

I am shooting open with a 5" barrel, Bedell comp, and am getting lots of haze on my Cmore. I wanted a Kidd Blast Deflector, but they are on back order everywhere. Shooter'sConnection is selling one designed by Bedell. First, has anyone tried it, and what do you think? Second, how much field of view through the lens can I expect to lose with the blast shield? Does the dot appear just over the top of the shield? Other than switching to a Allchin mount, does anyone have any suggestions? I am using HS6 and 124 Star's, I know a cleaner powder would help, but HS6 is so easy to find around here.

Thanks for the help.

I don't think you would have any field of view problems but if you are using a Serendipity mounted low you could have some issues depending on where your barrel ports are relative to the blocker. That plastic can flex if the gas hits the blocker just right and cause it to contact the slide. I have a picture somewhere documenting the end result.

You said 5" gun though, so any barrel ports should be far enough forward that this wouldn't be a problem.

I use a lens wipe in between stages to keep the haze away.

If the gun has ports in the barrel you will get haze on the lens unless the gunsmith off set the holes in the barrel. I do this on my guns & get almost no haze on the lens. The gas goes up & foward , not out like a mushrome.

It is not a hybrid barrel; I don't have any holes except those in the comp. Guys here say I should not have as much hazing as I do, but I do.

Anyone have an idea where I could get a Kidd shield? The Bedell looks functional, but kind of clunky compared to the Kidd. Worse case, I guess I could shape it with a Dremel a little!

Thanks