Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for 118-120pf load for 9mm 147gr with Tightgroup

slavex

I've been asked if I can make up some rounds for a calibration gun for a match. Gun will be a Glock 17. Bullets will be Campro 147gr plated, which I normally treat the same as jacketed. Powder will be Tightgroup and primers will be CCI. Anyone got a load I can start from?

You'd need to get down around 805-820 fps to achieve that PF w/147 gr. Most likely you'll run into the problem of it not running a gun as orangeride mentioned. You'll probably be better off using a lighter bullet. A 125 gr needs to run @ 960 for a 120 PF and will be much easier to make the gun run. Even then, you'll be far below the recommended starting loads published by Hodgdon for TG.

It's only for calibration so I don't care if the gun has to be hand cycled, thanks for the load ideas.

Even for that purpose, you can't run them that slow. They will tumble and really screw with calibration. 115 would be best.

This is by memory, so take it for what it's worth. I thought they had to be 115-125grs at pf between 115 n 125 pf. Don't have my rule book with me. Suggest you look and make sure what it says for the calibration ammo

This is by memory, so take it for what it's worth. I thought they had to be 115-125grs at pf between 115 n 125 pf. Don't have my rule book with me. Suggest you look and make sure what it says for the calibration ammo

9MM is "recommended" The ammunition, as fired through each designated handgun, should achieve a power factor between 115.0 and 125.0.

I can't swear to it, but most calibration ammo is going to be 115-124 GRNs.

9MM is "recommended" The ammunition, as fired through each designated handgun, should achieve a power factor between 115.0 and 125.0.

I can't swear to it, but most calibration ammo is going to be 115-124 GRNs.

You can make 115-125PF with many weights of bullets.... it all depends what the guy making calibration ammo has on hand i would guess..

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some 124s actually, so I could load them, but I have tons of 147s. will be doing this this weekend if I have time. I have a steel challenge load I did years ago that was apparently 2.8grs of tightgroup. Super soft and accurate, but I never chrono'd it.

• 2 weeks later...

2.8gr gave me 116pf out of my Glock 17, which is what will be used for the calibration gun at the match I'm going to (not my Glock, but a Glock). 3.0 gave me 125pf.

Running the same loads out of my CZ dropped them 10pf, which was interesting. Bullets were 147gr CamPros. Accuracy was still really good, which shocked me.

2.8gr gave me 116pf out of my Glock 17, which is what will be used for the calibration gun at the match I'm going to (not my Glock, but a Glock). 3.0 gave me 125pf.

Running the same loads out of my CZ dropped them 10pf, which was interesting. Bullets were 147gr CamPros. Accuracy was still really good, which shocked me.

what was the ES & SD of that load?

Following, I'm currently new to reloading and I'm using 125g RN Blue Bullets. I started my load from 3.3g-3.6g TG all of them OAL at 1.15 just to be on the safe side. Hogdons website says for 125g min load is 3.6 with a max of 3.8. I'll be running it through my STI DVC tomorrow to see what it likes. I haven't played with OAL. I use Atlanta Arms 147g with an OAL 1.15 and it runs fine in my pistol.

Edited by audani77

• 2 weeks later...

I have used TG and WSF for my Glock 17, KKM Barrel, stock RSA. Lower power factor and very accurate:

Montana Gold 147 cmj, 3.2gr Titegroup 802fps/118pf

Xtreme 135hp, 4.1gr WSF 858/115

Montana Gold 124hp, 3.7gr Titegroup 930/115

Montana Gold 124hp, 3.8gr Titegroup 957/118