Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

newbe

jbv7

Grand power x-calibur or x-trim both have multiple back straps for different sized hands and are pretty affordable for what they are. Plus they don't need to be sent out to be upgraded like cz and tanfoglio. I researched for months before I decided on the x-calibur for my first competition gun. I figured I could spend $800 on a gun and have it basically ready to go or spend $1000 on another and another $500 ish to improve/customize/upgrade the stock 2 or cz shadow with upgrades. Since I wasn't sure how much I would get into competition shooting I went with what I did and so far I love my xcal and glad I picked it. Hope that helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

You are about to embark on a fabulous voyage - finding The Right Pistol. :bow: :bow:

We might be able to give you some direction if you told us what experience

you have with shooting, any other pertinent personal characteristics and what you

plan to do with the gun.

I usually suggest a .22 rimfire revolver for a first pistol, but that really

depends on what you plan on doing with it. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Thanks for the replies. I looked up the x-caliber, very neat looking gun. I own a glock 23 .40 gen 2. I just put a 3.5 lb trigger and hi vis front site. Haven't got it to the range yet. The gun I purchase will be strictly used for competition. When I take the glock to the range and put rounds through it, she kicks like a mule. I have noticed that most guys use 9mm? and they are reloading lighter rounds (whole nother info collecting)

1. The gun I purchase will be strictly used for competition.

2. the glock kicks like a mule.

1. what kind of competition? The .40 is great for USPSA Ltd, but not so great for Production of IDPA.

2. Lots of people load the .40 down to PF 172 for Major, or down to PF 140 for minor.

Most people use 9mm instead for Production or minor loads - and keep it about the 132 -140 range PF.

Are you reloading, yet? :cheers:

Local gun store. Fondle everything, see if you can work the controls with out regripping. You want to be able to work the safety/decocker (if it has one) with your thumb and the mag release...without changing your grip.

Check natural point of aim. Stare at a spot on the wall, grip the pistol as correct as you can, lower it down, close your eyes and raise the gun up to the "target". Open your eyes and see how close you got.

Your ideal gun will be easy to work the controls and will naturally come up on target with the sights aligned.

Caliber is easy. Start out with 9mm. Cheap, plentiful in many bullet weights.

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for the delay as I am getting used to the forum and how to get back to my posts. First my hands are large not giant but stubby fingers.(gun mfg direction?) Will the gun shops carry competition guns typically? I do not own bullet reloading equipment. Should I think seriously about that? What does power factor mean? Is it reloading with less gun powder? Sorry about the simplicity of the questions :blush:

Edited by jbv7

Sorry about the simplicity of the questions :blush:

I'd suggest that you spend a half hour reading thru some

old postings - click on FORUMS (top left corner), and then

scroll down to any subject of interest - probably 9mm

and competition shooting - how to shoot faster, etc.

Good luck. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for the delay as I am getting used to the forum and how to get back to my posts. First my hands are large not giant but stubby fingers.(gun mfg direction?) Will the gun shops carry competition guns typically? I do not own bullet reloading equipment. Should I think seriously about that? What does power factor mean? Is it reloading with less gun powder? Sorry about the simplicity of the questions :blush:

Power factor is a mathematical equation used to used to determine your section ina given division within USPSA. There are 2 power factors, major, and minor. Some divisions are only scored as minor, no matter what the sum of the equation comes out to be.

Major power factor is 165 and above, minor power factor is 164.9999 down to 125.00000.

Power factor is determined by multiplying the bullet velocity by the bullet weight, then dividing by 1000. So, a 180 grain bullet going 1000 feet per second would give you a power factor of 180 (180 x 1000÷ 1000)...or a 165 grain bullet going 1100 feet per second wouldgive you a power factor of 181.5 (165 x 1100 ÷1000 = 181.5).

If you are interested in USPSA, I strongly suggest that you go to the USPSA website and download the rule book, read it several times, and then read the rules discussions that go on here in the forum, and ask questions.