Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 JM or PC?

FWSixgunner

If you want to shoot IDPA you will need a 4", USPSA a 5" is best. Do a search on your topic, it's been covered many times.

Short answer if you are looking at a 625 in order of desirability Stock, whichever is cheaper JM or PC. Some of the JM's had cylinder holes that needed touched up. Neither have any quality action work.

The PC gun has a short cylinder but unfortunately also has shorter cylinder stop notches that seem to be a little more prone to skip than the JM with the longer notches. With the JM you could run a Ti cylinder if you desired but not with the PC gun. I would go with the regular JM. Unless you are going to shoot ICORE Limited 6, the 625 is pretty much dead as a competition gun.

Unless I'm missing something, the 625 is going to have the fastest possible revolver reload in IDPA.

Since there's a lot more IDPA than USPSA in my area, and I can't currently justify the cost of a dedicated USPSA rig, I figure 625 can do double duty, at least for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 625 is a great IDPA gun. Heavy gun, relatively low power factor, quick reloads.

I think the jm is a better gun. More available cylinder, heavier barrel, and cheaper price. As previously established, the only thing a guy gets with a PC gun is a different barrel profile and fancy stamp on the side of the gun.

The 6 shots in the 625 will severely limit you in USPSA.

I shoot a PC in IDPA. I liked it better than the JM if for no other reason than the trigger.

Yes, I'm aware of the limitation in USPSA. But ballpark on gearing up for it with an 8-shot is $2,000, then I've got a USPSA-only rig, vs 1/2 that for a gun that can shoot both. Plus I've already got a ton of .45 ACP moon clips, de-mooner and holders from a 25-2 I used to own.

Eventually I'll likely have both, just not at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the pro series uses mim parts, not sure about the PC line. I had the boss pin break in my 625 JM Pro after 4 or 5 matches and some practice (no more than 1,000 rounds). Granted Smith sent me a brand new gun, it just took 5 months. If the PC line doesn't use MIM parts I'd go that route but that's just my opinion.

I have the PC and if I could do it again Id do the JM.

Same story here. I'd do it pretty much just for the heavier barrel configuration. There should be no expectation of improved quality with a PC gun over a "lower" line gun. Go with the JM.

the pro series uses mim parts, not sure about the PC line. I had the boss pin break in my 625 JM Pro after 4 or 5 matches and some practice (no more than 1,000 rounds). Granted Smith sent me a brand new gun, it just took 5 months. If the PC line doesn't use MIM parts I'd go that route but that's just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with MIM parts in revolvers.

Not a thing. I dunno why people are so convinced forged is superior, unless it's the appearance.

I agree. I have no problems with MIM parts in the smiths, the parts are case hardened like any other.

The old sintered metal parts in my Colt trooper Mk III were another matter. I've never owned a bigger piece of....

Small parts manufacturing has come a long way since the 70s.

Yeah the Hammer Pin. A gunsmith called it the Boss pin so that's what I used. I never tested trigger pull with it off, it started malfunctioning (skipping cylinders) so I took the side plate off to see and found the hammer pin broken (it's just an MIM pin pressed into the frame). So, I guess the question is: would a steel pin have broken the same way with as little use?

I don't believe the pins are MIM. There would be so reason to build such a simple part with that manufacturing process.

Metal injection moulding allows complicated shapes like the hammer and trigger to be manufactured to tight tolerances... And they use steel in the MIM process.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding