Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tight Groups except for one flyer. Why?

The Blade

I'm try to create an accuracy load for Bianchi Cup using my STI Targetmaster 9mm using a Ransom Rest. My load is as follows:

Starline brass

N320

Hornady 115 HAP

Winchester primers

25 yards until the weather breaks.

I've been testing using 4.0 and 4.2 gn N320 loaded between 1.120 and 1.140. All the groups are shooting pretty well. But here is my dilemma, in a five round group i'm getting one flyer. Can anyone tell me why? I'm not sure if it's the first or the last round. It doesn't seem to matter how I charge the pistol, either from using the slide release or gripping the slide and releasing. Any idea why I'm getting a flyer?

Thanks, Stephen

post-27844-0-36238600-1456369979_thumb.j

Edited by The Blade

Stephen

That's good shooting load.

I have a 45 that consistently has first round fliers. I have been told it is from inconsistent seating the first round.

Changing extractor tension helped some but didn't completely eliminate it for me.

I would like to know the cure too!

I think I might have read some of Rowdy's postings after I wrote this. Yes, if it wasn't for the flyer I would call 4.2 grns at 1.140 good. This gun shoots pretty good for a factory STI. Hopefully there is a simple fix for the flyer.

First, find out if it is the first round or a random out shot.

There might be a real sharp bullseye gunsmith who could reduce or eliminate a first shot shift.

If it just happens anywhere in the string, it just happens. It hits where it hits and it scores what it scores, you can't play gunzine writer games and ignore it.

I don't see any "flyers" in your 5-shot groups. :blush:

All the groups look pretty good to me (I don't have a Ransom Rest).

Next month, try some 50 yard groups.

When I shoot groups, I always fire the first shot into the berm, and

fire a 12-15 shot group. Eliminate the "flyers" and look for size/

POI of "the group" without the flyers.

I'd be very happy with any of those groups you just photographed.

Best I've ever done is a 3" group at 50 yards with my TruBor 9mm.

post-12776-0-05885700-1456407665_thumb.j

I don't think a sample group of five is enough to tell you anything statistically significant.

What does a group of ten or twenty look like?

Once I started to dial in the load and they grouped well, they all looked like this. I'll try dumping the first hand cycled round next time. That one is the culprit.

I had a M&P Shield that would do the same. First round was always right at the POA. The rest grouped nicely (about 1.5" at 10 yards) after that but were about 2-3" off the POA. The first thing I did was to make sure the sights were tight and they were.

I sent it back to S&W twice but it was never resolved. I sold it and bought a G43 with all shots at the POA.

I honestly think that it was a lockup issue where the bbl was locking up differently when charged by hand v. cycling by recoil.

Remember, At the Cup the only hand cranked round you fire is the first in each event. They are at 10 yds and that amount of shift will not even be noticeable. All my 1911s have done this to a smaller or larger degree and to be honest the only time I notice it is in shoot offs at 35yds on the barricade. Cold gun and hand cranked round.

Coatesy

Most of the time it is the first round, but could be the last.

Leave one extra in the gun after your group and burn the first one in the berm. I load 8 rounds, burn 1, 6 shot for group, 8th left in chamber unfired.

That is a good shooting gun. I would also test 10rd groups at 50 to help your decision.

Edited by DWFAN

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting to shoot on my outdoor range next month to try 50 yards. Very impressed so far with this new pistol. I put in Brazo's pro series trigger components and a mover front sight from Protocal so compared to the Sig X5 I shot last year I'm hoping to put up some good numbers. Great advise Coatesy.... Keep the gun hot.

Can I ask in a single stack for the cup how many rounds you load in your mags? 6 or 8?

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting to shoot on my outdoor range next month to try 50 yards. Very impressed so far with this new pistol. I put in Brazo's pro series trigger components and a mover front sight from Protocal so compared to the Sig X5 I shot last year I'm hoping to put up some good numbers. Great advise Coatesy.... Keep the gun hot.

Can I ask in a single stack for the cup how many rounds you load in your mags? 6 or 8?

I run 7 during a match. Gun stays hot and leaves one in each mag except the first mag.