Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is keeping your finger on the trigger guard a problem?

AzShooter

I thought I had my grip down pat but saw my recent picture and sure enough, my left had is way high on the gun with my left index finger on the trigger guard.

Is this too high or should I be keeping my left hand locked and try to get my finders as high on the grip as possible without using the guard?

I thought I had my grip down pat but saw my recent picture and sure enough, my left had is way high on the gun with my left index finger on the trigger guard.

Is this too high or should I be keeping my left hand locked and try to get my finders as high on the grip as possible without using the guard?

It doesn't seem to hurt rich wolfe..

Rich_Wolfe.jpg

He doesn't suck even a little.

And then there is this guy Eric, he is basically unbeatable.

eric_grauffel1.jpg

Edited by seanc

Rich_Wolfe.jpg

Rich is awesome, and no doubt he makes it work. But that is the goofiest grip i've ever seen.

Rich-Wolfe-shooting.jpg

Edited by alecmc

JM places his finger on the trigger guard also. Doesn't seem to slow him down either. I think it helps with muzzle flip a bit if done correctly. I was taught that method many moons ago, but have shifted my grip down and back a bit to ensure that my support palm is on the backstrap of the gun. I dont have HUGE hands though. If you have gorilla hands or a smaller frame gun, and it works for you go for it!

If your hand/fingers are large enough great, if not it's not worth trying.

Shook hands with Bill Jordan once, I guarantee you his grip encompassed the trigger guard, his hands were huge compared to that scrawny 18 yr old from Kansas.

JM places his finger on the trigger guard also. Doesn't seem to slow him down either. I think it helps with muzzle flip a bit if done correctly. I was taught that method many moons ago, but have shifted my grip down and back a bit to ensure that my support palm is on the backstrap of the gun. I dont have HUGE hands though. If you have gorilla hands or a smaller frame gun, and it works for you go for it!

The JM I'm thinking of definitely does not shoot with his finger on the trigger guard. He also does not have gorilla hands.

Edited by Carmoney

Rich_Wolfe.jpg

Rich is awesome, and no doubt he makes it work. But that is the goofiest grip i've ever seen.

Rich-Wolfe-shooting.jpg

There is nobody in the revolver game today with more raw talent than Rich. If he avoids disaster, nobody can beat him.

The JM I'm thinking of definitely does not shoot with his finger on the trigger guard. He also does not have gorilla hands.
He uses both methods. I have seen him shoot many times with his support hand up on the trigger guard. Search his name in google images and its about 50/50.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

When he shoots the plastic guns it seems to be something he is advocating now, seen plenty of video on shooting usa or whatever when he does 3 gun.

https://youtu.be/ChSazF41q-s?t=681

can't figure out how to embed video...

Edited by seanc

Seems like it's worth trying, the higher the support hand the more leverage you will get. Rich Wolfe has really long thumbs and I bet the tip of his left thumb gets black pretty quick. Probably OK with ICORE loads but I would be careful with higher power loads.

He uses both methods. I have seen him shoot many times with his support hand up on the trigger guard. Search his name in google images and its about 50/50.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I don't know what you think you're seeing, but I just looked through the first couple hundred Google images of Jerry shooting handguns, and I didn't see a single pic of his shooting with his finger on the front of the trigger guard!

OK, I stand partially corrected. I searched JM and revolver since this is the revolver forum, and the OP asked a question about revolver shooting technique.

JM does not place his finger on the front of a revolver trigger guard.

OK, I stand partially corrected. I searched JM and revolver since this is the revolver forum, and the OP asked a question about revolver shooting technique.

Yah, His revolver technique looks to be more traditional with thumbs tucked.

With plastic guns, he is 50/50 from what i've seen in videos and pictures with finger in front of trigger gaurd. I'm pretty sure there is a video on his youtube explaining why he does this.

With plastic guns, he is 50/50 from what i've seen in videos and pictures with finger in front of trigger gaurd. I'm pretty sure there is a video on his youtube explaining why he does this.

if you click that video i linked, it starts playing where he talks about it.

starts at the beginning for me, what time point?

starts at the beginning for me, what time point?

wtf, really??

Go to 11:20

Another $.02 worth:

I've got pretty stubby digits and shoot my S&Ws precision (SA) finger over TG and thumbs locked. Finger over feels natural to me and faster to acquire from the holster.

I started using that grip for hunting/silhouette after reading Ross Seyfried many years ago and it works well for me. Locking the weak hand thumb & extending my index finger over the trigger creates a natural tension that gives a very steady hold and good recoil control.

For speed, I go the same way but slide the finger below the guard. This also creates a lot of tension and reduces the load on my shooting hand.

I run JM grips on a K-frame. I must've missed the memo about them not being for small hands.

High & tight does it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk