Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sharing: my first DQ call as an RO ... on myself.

frgood

Okay, at the time I was not the RO just a competitor. However, I was one of a group taking the NROI class and this was the second day of the class. The day coincided with a local USPSA match so we all squaded up ourselves into two squads to work on our newly acquired skills.

The particular stage had a start point that was down range from two shooting positions. I fatally made the decision that I could take the targets visible from the start position from one of the other positions. Thus, my intention was to merely not un-holster on the start. but to simply turn and sprint back to the next position then turn, draw and be a hero. Alas,

This was not so well thought out as I was using an Ernie Hill holster. Basically, I during the make ready, I unlock the holster and prep. On the beep, I turn. In full sprint, I'm off to the spot. Arms swinging to run faster.

Arms swinging that catch the frame and let my gun go flying to the ground.

I'm told that I still passed the class, if the test is okay and that I am welcome to run shooters for the rest of the day.

Lesson learned. ;):rolleyes:

DQing in the RO class is impressive. Mad props. :roflol:

Ironically many of the dropped gun DQs I've seen are from people choosing to run with the gun in the holster. You're shooting USPSA, draw on the buzzer and run with the gun in hand! It's safer. :lol:

Ironically many of the dropped gun DQs I've seen are from people choosing to run with the gun in the holster. You're shooting USPSA, draw on the buzzer and run with the gun in hand! It's safer. :lol:

I know!!! lol

Yep. OR keep the holster locked

good learning experience. I have found it is always faster to draw immediately, and then I can be coming into position with the gun up and ready to shoot, instead of screwing around drawing it. You have discovered that it's also safer to do it that way.

BIG learning experience. Heh. I have to practice running up-field more so that it is no longer intimidating. Trying to work around my fear is far more disastrous than facing it. [ I guess that is my lesson for today].

BIG learning experience. Heh. I have to practice running up-field more so that it is no longer intimidating. Trying to work around my fear is far more disastrous than facing it. [ I guess that is my lesson for today].

Wise words. Take the things that you are uncomfortable with and practice them in dryfire until you are comfortable. I have worked on reloading moving in all directions so that I have no concern about having to reload while moving right to left.

Actually, watching the gun fall to the ground was a big sinking moment. Yes, the safety was on. But it is a competition gun with a 1 3/4# trigger. I did have feelings of dread (and now to a lesser degree) that this could have gone horribly... no fatally wrong. More than the object lesson that feeling does not go away.

We hear of occasional accidents. But this goes far beyond the "I got my finger caught in my Dillon SDB as I glanced away while operating the lever". I didn't want to go home in a huff over a ruling. I wanted to slink home in complete embarrassment and shame for being so stupid.

[i'm not fishing for sympathy. Just sharing how I truly felt]

Okay, at the time I was not the RO just a competitor. However, I was one of a group taking the NROI class and this was the second day of the class. The day coincided with a local USPSA match so we all squaded up ourselves into two squads to work on our newly acquired skills.

The particular stage had a start point that was down range from two shooting positions. I fatally made the decision that I could take the targets visible from the start position from one of the other positions. Thus, my intention was to merely not un-holster on the start. but to simply turn and sprint back to the next position then turn, draw and be a hero. Alas,

This was not so well thought out as I was using an Ernie Hill holster. Basically, I during the make ready, I unlock the holster and prep. On the beep, I turn. In full sprint, I'm off to the spot. Arms swinging to run faster.

Arms swinging that catch the frame and let my gun go flying to the ground.

I'm told that I still passed the class, if the test is okay and that I am welcome to run shooters for the rest of the day.

Lesson learned. ;):rolleyes:

I was told in class if you DQ during live drills you can still pass the class as long as it wasnt done intentionally.

Makes sense to me. You don't have to be a shooter at all to be an RO. I saw on the NROI website where a person told Troy that his wife did not want to learn to shoot but was interested in becoming an RO. He said absolutely OK. In fact, there is no requirement to be a shooter for any NROI certification.

• 3 months later...

Actually, watching the gun fall to the ground was a big sinking moment. Yes, the safety was on. But it is a competition gun with a 1 3/4# trigger. I did have feelings of dread (and now to a lesser degree) that this could have gone horribly... no fatally wrong. More than the object lesson that feeling does not go away.

Hell, mine doesn't even have a safety :D At least not one of those external lever doohickies.

Amen! Had this happen to me at SC state match.... lesson learned

• 2 weeks later...

Always draw on the buzzer. The gun is safest up in your hand at the high ready area 'your work space'. Even if it'd worked you can run faster and more confidently with it in hand rather that banging around on hip.

It's a good lesson to learn. :)