Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr Coated, NLG vs. LG?

RickT

I've reloaded 40K of Bayou 147gr with lube groove (WSF Powder). I'm experimenting with N320 and 147gr for SC where I don't have to worry about PF. I've still got some of the Bayou, but I'm wondering what difference I might observe between the NLG and LG bullets. If NLG is "better" why would Bayou, who only sells coated, sell the lube groove configuration? I suppose it might be a tooling investment issue.

Of course if NLG had advantages Bayou's market for their 147gr bullets would dry up. Anyone have data on both configurations?

My wife and I are older and average shooters so a .5" group difference at 25 yards is meaningless, but the retired engineer in me has to ask. While I don't enjoy reloading more than shooting making sense of the number of variables is certainly fascinating.

No lube groove bullets are easier to coat. Far fewer angles to worry about, and they run through bullet feeding dies better.

You may see a few FPS increase with the grooved bullets as there is a little less drag, and you may see a tiny improvement in accuracy with the groove less since it has a longer bearing surface, but neither is going to impact your results enough to really matter. I guess you could say grooved or not grooved will fall within the margin of error of each other.

The reason you still see coated bullets with lube grooves is the casters are running older molds designed for traditional lube.

I would think a NLG bullet having a greater bearing surface by not having grooves would be better. One more reason why I like the SNS brand although I know Bayou are outstanding bullets. Just guessing but I would expect at some point most coated makers will go grooveless as they replace molds.

I have found your WSF to be a great choice for these bullets.

Edited by JLeeCZ

Does it really matter if the interior of the groove is not coated evenly or even at all? It's not a bearing surface and it's not at the base of the bullet, so I' think that barrel leading and vaporized lead wouldn't be much of a problem. maybe concentricity might be effected but I don't know if it makes that much difference for our way of shooting...

It's a tooling choice. The moulds are for cast lead bullets that take bullet lube. The coated bullets started out ALL with lube grooves. That's how cast bullets were made. Then different manufacturers started having NLG moulds made. It's not an issue. Go by the general quality and QC of the manufacturer. Your pistol likes the bullet or not. Your bullet turns at your barrel's twist rate or not. More bearing surface does not cause it to turn better. If it's jumping lands, more bearing surface doesn't fix the problem.

One tip. If you're loading for sc where there's no pf and also no need to knock over steel or pins then you're better off running light bullets like 115s or even lighter.

The heavier bullets create more muzzle lift and more twist in the recoil. A 115gn with just enough powder to cycle the gun is a very nice load. :) cheaper too!

Edited by BeerBaron

I agree with the tooling, look at the 125 bbi has to be one of the first nlg because they were using moly coating not the traditional lube. I would like to see more 147gr nlg with a little better profile that allows you to load a little longer. All for a little more room in the case so your not into the case around that 0.30 range.

I read the emotions that NGL is better (newer is always better), but has anyone actually run any real tests?

More bearing surface? Cut out the lube groove and spread that little bit of lead over the base of the bullet and it still won't get a bearing surface as long as the LG bullet (total length that controls things, where the LG is not a negative factor).

I prefer NLG for one reason ONLY--the ones I shoot are SWAGED, and not cast, so weight and dimensions are as uniform as jacketed bullets.

In the real world, I think that it is more a personal choice/aesthetics than having any rational basis. Like fluted vs. non-fluted revolver cylinders.

I shot Bayou's with LG for a long time. Decided to enter the single stack world and needed a round nose profile for better feeding.

Blue Bullets were the coated ones that I found. Both were 147 grain.

At the time, did not change powder or OAL.

It made no difference in accuracy since these are not target rounds.

Beer Baron has a point of the cost/economy of a lighter bullet. But it will take more powder to push.

On the accuracy topic, many swear by the SWC profile with more of the mass at the back.

I shot Bayou's with LG for a long time. Decided to enter the single stack world and needed a round nose profile for better feeding.

Blue Bullets were the coated ones that I found. Both were 147 grain.

At the time, did not change powder or OAL.

It made no difference in accuracy since these are not target rounds.

Beer Baron has a point of the cost/economy of a lighter bullet. But it will take more powder to push.

On the accuracy topic, many swear by the SWC profile with more of the mass at the back.

Powder cost seems to be a bit of a wash, 3.8gr of N320 for 115gr and 3.0gr of N320 for 147gr: more powder but less expensive bullets (no PF for SC). I've got to make a decision between 115gr and 147gr, but at those loads in a 1911 there isn't much recoil either way. We have run 40K rounds of 147gr coated FP in our 1911s without any feeding problems, but I agree when I chamber a RN bullet (tried 160gr) I could tell the difference between FP and RN.