Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPRO 7 vs. Breakfree CLP

abcxyz

Just had a question with regards to MPRO 7 and Breakfree CLP?  Which one is better in terms of cleaning a gun?  Breakfree CLP seems to do it all, clean, lubricate and protect.   I've read a lot of good things about MPRO 7 in terms of cleaning and it sounds great.   I talked to a guy at the gunstore on the phone and asked him what the difference is and he said MPRO 7 works great, but it doesn't lubricate, so you have to get a separate lubricant.   Then I read internet stuff about MPRO 7 saying that you only need to use that for everything.  So what's actually correct?  Thanks.

No idea what MPRO 7 is, but I know that CLP works.  Don't get wrapped around the axle about grease (get it? axle-grease!) Just get a lubricant and a cleaner, or a combination lubricant/cleaner, and clean and lubricate your gun, then go shoot.  

I use Brownell's moly disulfide grease on my frame rails, and CLP or Remoil, or militech to lubricate other parts, and shooter's choice to clean bores with.  CLP by itself is fine, though, until you need to remove copper or lead fouling.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

J.B. bore compound & Kroil combo pack from Brownells are the best cleaners I've ever used. I spent several years in the Army and used Breakfree from the time the military started useing it until I got out but I don't know anything about MPRO7. I figure that since you are comparing the two that they are close and I can say that, for cleaning, J.B. & Kroil smoke Breakfree. Unless you shoot in the rain a lot or store your gun for long periods of time lubrication of the rails, link, a drop on the recoil spring and a light coat on the outside of the barrel should be all you need. For my rails I use TW25B which is an extreme environment lubricant but I also have to recommend BE's Slide Glide ( I get my TW25B free ) and I use Lucas gun oil everywere else ( got a large supply of Lucas free also ) but to me gun oil is gun oil and it gets changed after every use anyway. If you're going to shoot in bad weather or store your guns for a long time I recommend motor oil, it's the best.

Really hope this helps  shootout.gif

abcxyz... No only doesn't MPro7 lubricate, it "completely strips all of the oil and grease from the surface of the firearm."  Above is a quote from the MPro 7 cleaning guide.

The main advantage for the pricey MPro 7 is that it's odorless and non-toxic.

I like using it when I clean my firearms at home.  However, when I do my cleaning at the range I go back to the old standby - Hoppe's #9 and Hoppe's Copper Bore Solvent.

I switched to mpro 7 two years ago and it's the best I've ever tried. I would use it even if it did smell and burn my hands, which of course it does not.

(my wife used to make me present my hands for inspection before I got to "inspect" anything on her. She hated the smell of the other stuff which is why I switched initially)

Mpro 7 MAY not get all copper out at extremely high velocity (1200 fps and up) but does fine at lower speed.

I find that two sets of 25 mpro 7 brush strokes followed by a dry patch gets every bore spotless.

Use Brian's slide glide on the rails, and any good oil everywhere else.

Steve

Quote: from Steve Anderson on 8:52 am on May 27, 2002

I switched to mpro 7 two years ago and it's the best I've ever tried.

I agree with Steve that M Pro-7 is the best _cleaner_ I've used, and I've used many different cleaners.  If I were just shooting, say, a Glock, I might use it all the time.

However, in some ways M Pro-7 is _too_ good.  The manufacturer tells you to keep it away from oil-based wood finishes.  I've also found that it will "clean" off some paints, like the white outline of an S&W rear sight.  It leaves the firearm completely bare, so be careful to reapply a good protectant.

The main reason, though, that I now use Eezox instead of M Pro-7 is that M Pro-7 eats Loctite.  For example, it would eat the Loctite that holds my SVI removable breechface in place.  Eezox is a milder cleaner, but it seems to leave Loctite just fine and as an added benefit provides a decent lubricant.  It is probably the best protectant on the market.  I use Slide Glide on metal-to-metal contact areas that I can reach easily.

Lincoln

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

MPro7 is the best cleaner. No odor so you can clean indoors, non-toxic etc. I used to spend two hours cleaning using the other standard stuff trying to get a clean patch but it would never happen. There was always some carbon/powder residue on the patch. With MPro7 I can clean bores to where the last patch looks exactly like a clean patch. Also I have shot thousands of rounds through pistols and rifles and have not had a copper fouling problem. Even with 3000+fps centerfire rifle rounds. I guess this is because of the conditioning of the bore with repeated use of the cleaner. I will never go back. Contact magnumballistics@ev1.net they have a lot of info on the stuff.

MPro7 is the cats meow..

Boeing spec. HMS 20-1267,2216.

It works great on the Apache...

CLP is too greasy and all the others are either Kerosene or Brake Cleaner (check the MSDS sheets).

MPro7 bore cleaner really works great as does the oil, but I may switch to the FP10 lube because Brian recommends it.

For now though it is MPro7 products and Slide Guide.

How many gun cleaners are actually approved and assigned an Aerospace/Military Specification #?

Perhaps BE's slide guide should be submitted for physcial and chemical tests and be assigned an ASTM or SAE #,(or whatever the new ISO9001 # which will cross reference).

For now it is MPro7  products and slide guide...

If lubrication was a concern, I'd use Breakfree everywhere I use WD-40 - nowhere. Breakfree, like WD-40, (or DW-20, as a fella in my automotive shop once called it when he wanted his door hinge fixed for free - "Can't you just spray some of that DW-20 on it?") is a better cleaner than lube.

be

I use Breakfree for lubrication almost exclusively. I am wondering if I should dump it and use something else??? Also, as we enter into the winter, I will be shooting my open blaster in the temperature range of 40 degrees (on a good day) down to zero or a little below zero. If it gets real cold we cancel. I guess I use Breakfree because it works at cold temps. Can anyone suggest a better low temp lube?

"Can anyone suggest a better low temp lube?"

Yes? I got a question in an email this morning from a guy who wanted to know what lube to use in his 1911, in Alaska, when the temperature is regularly around - 50 degrees F? I had no clue.

be