Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stovepiping

seanc

Is there anyway a gun would stovepipe based on something being wrong with a magazine?

my 2011 is stovepiping but ONLY with two of my 7 magazines. I can't tell if this is just by chance or its actually from the magazines.

It doesn't make logical sense to me but its what I see happening...

I wonder if the, lips on those magazines are so worn that they are not holding the bullet securely, and when recoil begins the ejection cycle the round upcoming in the magazine is releasing early and contacting the round being extracted... which could impede its clean ejection.

How often does it happen? Does it happen only with some headstamp brass? Does the normal "malf clearing"... hand over top of slide, sweep back to remove smokestack and cycle slide... pull the case clear and chamber the next round? It is weird!

I wonder if the, lips on those magazines are so worn that they are not holding the bullet securely, and when recoil begins the ejection cycle the round upcoming in the magazine is releasing early and contacting the round being extracted... which could impede its clean ejection.

How often does it happen? Does it happen only with some headstamp brass? Does the normal "malf clearing"... hand over top of slide, sweep back to remove smokestack and cycle slide... pull the case clear and chamber the next round? It is weird!

so some more data.

New sti 170mm mags with grams guts

Mixed brass, haven't paid attention to the headstamps when it jams.

the load is a typical 9mm 124 major load making 173 pf

vertical mount

It has always happened like in the first 8-10 rounds, so when the mag is more full

it occurs like every 3rd mag or so, 1st will jam, second time no issue, 3rd or 4th it jams again.

I say stove pipe, but of course with a vertical mount its more like a horizontal stove pipe.

I know just using and H-mount so the top of the gun was open would likely alleviate, or someone better than me could tune the extractor, i am just hung up it only happening with these two particular mags...

I keep reading that timing is everything in life.

the magazines may be hanging at different heights

and the top round is against the slide... slowing it.

the magazines could be bowing out a little under the extra

spring pressure doing the above.

and the magazine could be holding the rounds at a different angle

fill a problem magazine and sharpie the top round and hand cycle the slide.

do the same with a non problem magazine.

that should test my guess.

miranda

Upright mount? My money is on the brass hitting the scope or mount and bouncing back in the chamber. Look for marks on either to confirm. It happens so fast you can't easily see it. Have a buddy film in slow motion and it will be very obvious if this is whats happening. Mags are still probably the culprit if it's only with a few. Try another spring in the mags first then mic the lips etc.

This is what happened to my ultra reliable gun one match. Out of the blue one of my mags went bad. Of course I was freaked out by the sudden unreliability and switched to a 90 degree mount and stuck with it because the lower dot was a nice thing for me.

Check your mag dimensions

Change your mag springs

Aftec extractor

Ejecter set up to throw brass at 2 oclock

Mag dimensions are definitely different. All my mags that have never jammed the gun are .344 front to back on the feed lips and all the two flaky ones are .370+.

aftec extractor, springs are virtually brand new. Ejector tuning is outside my current skill set, anyone have a tutorial on that?

I am not against going to the 90 mount, its just another 150 bucks into the money pit for the mount and long racker.

The wide lips are letting the top round point up too much hitting the brass causing it to go up into the mount. Take a rubber mallet to the end of the mag or send them to Todd Suchy tjs375 on here. He tunes most everything in Ohio. Excellent and affordable work!

I've had some mags that are slightly shorter (front to back) and the follower will not travel freely the entire length of the mag. If you're feeling adventerous, you can file the front edge of the follower to see if that helps. Maybe it won't "catch" on that part of the mag.

If you're shooting 38super (I used to load mine to 1.255") and have a couple of mags, I won't mention the brand but the initials are mbx where the mags are too short and won't let the longer 38 super bullets travel up the mag... and they get caught and nose-dive :(

Either way, either the follower or the OAL of the bullets might be the problem.